icon

Intermitent Subwoofer Sound.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonchos 
Copper - Posts: 256
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have a KDC-X889 and I have a P5002 amp with two 10" subwoofers in a sealed box wired in paralell. The problem started about a week ago. I had no bass, I thought it was mi amp getting hot and going into the "safe" mode because it came back on after about five minutes. The next day the bass quit and I had to get the faceplate off and the put it back on te got them to work again. Few days went by and no problems. Yesterday, they stopped working again, tryed the faceplate trick and no luck this time, frustrated I just shut the stereo off. Today I turned it back on and it was woking for about 10 min, then it stopped working, came back on for about three seconds and then it stopped working again.

The amp is turning on fine, even when I had no sound comming out of the subwoofers, I can clearly see the amp on without any protect lights, also the rockford amps have the symbol that lights up according to the sound, and it was moving with the music, so This will pretty much eliminate the audio output correct? Can the subwoofers gone bad? is there a way to check the outut of the amp to see if there is power going to my speakers?

Has anyone ran into this? What was the problem? any input please.Thank you.

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

Remember to look for stupid mistakes first. These are usually the ones that cause problems the most. So before wiggin out yet, check the simple things first. You never know, it could just be something real easy to fix.

I had a problem real close to this one. The sub would go in and out. Usually when I would turn off the system my subs would come back on, but not always. The RCA connections from my amplifier to the head unit were bad. Once I got those taken care of there was no problems. The RCA went bad because they use to be in a vehicle where the box wasn't secure and the amplifier got banged around. Minor problem.

While your problem does sound similar I don't think it has anything to do with your RCA connections. Check them anyway just to be sure.   -note- just because they "look" like they are plugged in doesn't mean they are running current through them.

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the amplifier. It sounds like your subs aren't getting power from the amplifier.  I actually knew a friend having a problem with the subs turning on and off mysteriously and he thought for sure that something was wrong with the amplifier. Turns out, when I took the sub out of the box, the wires going to the connectors on the box were loose... I don't think you would make such a foolish mistake such as my friend, but it's still worth a look.... Check for any faulty wires.

Somewhere along the circuit line of connections and wires I bet you will find a problem. If not, then it's time to wig out! j/k This just means that it's not an easy fix and more of a headache. Tell us what you find....

jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you for input. I will try to look at it today, if not I have to wait until sunday, busy week at work. Maybe the vibraton loosened up the screws in the subwoofer that hold the wires, that's a posibility, so I hope this is it, and not a headunit or amp problem. I will let you guys know what I found.

jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry guys, I have the woofers wired in a series/parallel with a load of 4 ohms, they are dual 4 ohm voice coils subwoofers.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
so both subs were wired in parallel, or one in series, one in parallel. What load are you looking to get?
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

coppellstereo wrote:
so both subs were wired in parallel, or one in series, one in parallel. What load are you looking to get?

That would be the voice coils wired in series and the speakers wired to amplifier in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

If I'm reading his post correctly, I'm assuming it's a 2-channel amplifier. P5002? He should be alright there.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah i was posting this to get this out of the way, since i have some pm's asking me how they are wired so, willdkartunes you are right.I am hoping one of the screws that hold the wires in the subs came loose and the whole thing stopped working, I will check tonight hopefully.
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

Ok well I got the box here with me and I tested every voice coil in my regular home stereo and they all got sound coming out of them, the cables going into the connectors in the subwoofer were in place, so nothing wrong here, I think. A damaged or blown speaker would not give any sound right? maybe i should frase this better, Can a damaged or blown voice coil cause the subs to quit in the way I have them wired?

What do you guys think I should check next?  RCA'S? how would I test them on my dmm? what setting?

How can I check the signal comming out of my amp channel with my dmm?

jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I went to my car and put my box back inside and I tested the subs and they are working now. I think it might have been a wire just not being tight enough. The first time I hooked both of the subs in my home stereo there was no sound, but when  I got done testing every voice coil and put them back in the box, tryed again and I got sound so I think i fixed it, yeee....haaa. Thank you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic