icon

Kicker Solo-Baric 15L7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
six2six 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone has ever mounted one of these subs in a box with the magnet on the outside (inverted)? if so how does it sound compared to mounting it regularly? I was planning on mounting it in a sealed 2 ft3 box firing up in a 1999 accord. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I know these subs should be put in a ported box for maximum output but space is an issue.
pcguy760 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

This 15L7 is really an SPL sub and if that's what you're after then you have the right sub otherwise if you're looking for a sub that gonna sound good with ALL types of music then it's the wrong one. I tried my best to get mine to sound good with all types of music but it just did not hit the spot. I guess this is mainly because this sub has a frequency response of up to 100Hz only.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

The sub should sound no different inverted than it would sound mounted normal.  In fact, the box will grow a little in air volume with the sub on the outside.  1.5 cu ft is the minimum size, and 6 cu ft is best SQ, so if you can steal another few tenths of a cu ft by inverting then that's all the better.

Sag calculator puts sag with this sub at 2%, which is fine for upfiring.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
pcguy760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

Yep I agree with you on that - I just installed mine thinking I would get a flat response and good SQ but it was kinda disappointing - although the very low end sounds just great - its like this thing is not made for someone who listens to all types of music. For example if I play those Bass CDs or music with lots of very low frequencies it comes alive. Try some old 80s stuff and its sleeping lol. I guess I will have to get rid of it and just go with something with a higher frequency response...

honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I disagree with bobditts because rounish waves that doesn't make any sence. An example you could drop a circle rock into a pond waves are circular and you could drop a square rock into a pond and it would be the exactly same thing, not squarish waves.I will agree though the sub was intended spl but build a good sealed box it would sound good.
you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD
pcguy760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

I got my L7 15" in a 3 Cu. Ft sealed box with some fiberfill inside it and it only sounds good with ultra low bass music. It's getting about 250 to 300W RMS per coil. I am thinking about going with 3 x 12" or 4 x 10" for low and good low-mid bass response. L7 15" frequency response falls off at 100Hz so that could explain why alot of my music does not sound good with it... I did notice there are alot of 15" subs with response up to 500Hz... I know for sure the 4x10" or 3x12" will have an overall good response for any type of music...

wykkidintenionz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
You could try increasing the size of the box (up to 6.0 cu. ft. for either ported/vented and sealed) or try running more power to the woofer (it's rated at 1,000 watt RMS, 500 per coil), but the L7 is designed almost specifically for hard, low, bass. If you want something that will 'sound better' with a higher freq. response try the Comp VR 15", rated 25 - 500 Hz., 500 watt RMS, into a larger sealed enclosure (5.20 cu. ft. would be good) and you should get what you're looking for.
God made Turbo Lag so V8's could keep up.
He also made Nitrus Oxide to make sure that they Didn't.
-
Anyone can build a 600 HP. V8, takes skill to get a 2.0L 16 Valve to 300 HP.
wykkidintenionz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Or, if you're looking for a more SQ sound, try the 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12d VQ freq. 23-400, a pair of those in a 1.25 cu. ft. per chamber sealed box with a Infinity Reference 611a 456.1 pushing them ...
It all dpeneds on what you're looking for, and what exact sound you're trying to acheieve.
-
pcguy760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Hey wykkidintenionz,

I am looking something that would sound good with all the different types of music I listen to : Rap, Trance, House, 80's Rock / Dance / Disco (lol - I know), Hard Rock, Bass CDs, etc. etc. - so basically something that can handle almost any type of music... BTW, I am looking for some reasonably priced subs - probably the Comp, Comp VR, etc. BTW, all this is a big SUV, an expedition - so there is alot of air to push. I guess I might as well lean towards 12s or 15s instead of 10s huh? Was just thinking about that...

BTW, your signature is funny - haha.

wykkidintenionz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
Well, in that case, try the Kicker 06CVX12-4, 750 watt RMS power handling, freq. 24-500 Hz. .. The Comp VX is a newer sub from Kicker, and my local Kicker dealer will be getting a set of them in - in about 2 weeks, i'll post an update to this after i've heard them inperson. But, they said that they heard them at the DAS show not too long ago and they are a better performer than the Comp VR and more versitile than the Solo-Baric L7. They can handle the ultra low bass, as well as the midrange to low high range bass alot better. In the back of an Expedition i'd suggest you invest in a pair of dual vent slot ported boxes and build whats commonly known as a 'poor mans wall' running 4 of these (though, you're looking about $250 - $275 a piece for the woofers)hooked into a pair of 2500.1's (either SX or ZX).
-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic