icon

Where to put line driver.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
niskyspy 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Well at first I was thinking of getting an AudioControl OverDRIVE line driver which costs around $120 and use it to boost the voltage for my JBL mono-amp. But now since I am getting a JBL 4ch amp I was thinking of getting AudioControl matrix which is 6ch in/6ch out and costs around $200. But the thing is that matrix is way bigger than OVERDRIVE so I cant really put it anywhere next to my deck. One of my friends told me that I should just put it in the trunk. So my question is, will it be find in the trunk or should I somehow fit it upfront?
Infinity 1242, Kenwood 7202, Panasonic dec
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
From the manual. " Placement:  Depending upon your application the Matrix should be installed in the signal path as close to your source unit as possible, but definitely before any long cable runs."
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
niskyspy 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
thank you
Infinity 1242, Kenwood 7202, Panasonic dec
pcguy760 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

Do these devices really make that much of a difference ?? I always hear people saying that all you need to do is match the output (without clipping or distortion) to that on the gain of your amp and you do not need these devices... I wonder how true that is ...

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

Line drivers are great to overcome signal losses in long cable runs and to enable lower gain settings on amps, which means they will run cleaner (higher SQ.)   Also some competitors use them to artificially boost signal strength to get that last bit of SPL out of a system (before they replace the speakers for the next run.) 

Yes, all you need to do is match the signal levels, but sometimes a system can be noisy after this is done and a line driver used properly can help clean it up.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

This is a great topic for Rob to make post# 4000 on. For years I have been singing the praises of Eclipse cd players. One of the reasons for this is what I feel to be unparalled tonal response as compared to any other cd player in a similar price range. Another reason though is that it eliminates the need for a outboard line driver. The Eclipse head units are all a minumum of 5 volt and up to 8 volt, rms, non - clipping and 55 ohm output impedence. If you start with a strong source, you end with a strong source. If you start weak and then manipulate the signal to go higher yet again, you always run the risk of introducing noise into the system, then add the fact that the signal is also going to lose some of it's integrity. I inform all of my potential customers of this fact when they come in looking for a line driver. Chances are they read in on a forum or have heard it from a sales clerk, perhaps even seen it in a vehicle and asked about it. The best route to go for the most part (there are some exceptions however), is to use a good high voltage, low impedence, non clipping cd player like can be found in the Eclipse head units.

Yes you already have a cd player, but by the time you can sell it to a friend, purchase the line driver and the additional wiring, then add on the install time and placement, it makes a good cd player that much better of an investment. Condsider the options before you make the choice. Audio Control makes exceptional products for this application, should you decide to go that way, it would make a fine addition.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic