the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1979 Corvette and AVIC N2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hello All,

I am about to install a Pioneer head unit with navigation in a 1979 Corvette. I do know the specific model pioneer at this time. However, after looking at wiring info on car, I did not see a vss wire and I was wondering if there was another wire to use. I also did not find any metra harnesses for this vehicle. Any info would be much appreciated.

MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
meh66 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
I attempted to install the Pioneer Avic N2 in the corvette. First of all, the corvette does not have a vss wire. The hand parking brake wire is grounded when engaged, but the unit expects a positive voltage. I know I could install a switch to correct the brake wire, but how do I get around the vss wire? However, can you change the polarity expected on the brake wire? In addition, the power antenna did not work. The car already had an after market radio and according to the owner the antenna worked with kendwood. I followed the kenwood basic connections. The old kenwood unit was not in car when I stared install. Any help would be appreciated.
MEH66
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
parkbrakes are almost all ground when engaged, that is what the AVIC is looking for.
the ebrake warning will eventually go away.
the blue wire on the avic should go to a pink wire in the corevette.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
meh66 
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply extreme.....

The kenwood had their antenna wire connected to a yellow wire. Where is this pink wire..I seen one and it already had a voltage when I tested it. This car had about 3 or 4 different plugs for factory radio.  According to the install manual of the AVIC, it requires to be connected b+ side.

MEH66
meh66 
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Some feedback....

I was thinking about connecting the parking brake wire to a relay, convert the polarity and then connect that output to the AVIC N2 brake lead wire. Now, I just need to find that darn antenna wire.

MEH66
arrivalanche 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
for the VSS wire the pioneer can work without one. its more precise than most without one. as long as you have your gps ant. in clear view it should be all good.
meh66 
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. I will not worry about the vss wire. However, this antenna isssue has me stumped. Can anyone provide a power antenna circuit diagram...if you have the one for this vehicle great (79 Vette).

FYI - There were two three wire relays connected to the antenna and the output of the head unit. One relay has a connection to ground, connection to head unit antenna output wire and to one of the antenna wires. This wire is also connected to a wire that goes to the fuse box( I could not trace wire). The second relay is also three terminal has only one connection and that is the other antenna wire, hower it has another wire that goes back towards the antenna, but it looks cut.  I am having a problem with this because the owner side the older after market unit controlled the antenna...the inside of the car was taken apart.

One question I have concerning the antenna motor. Should the antenna motor have three wires...one for ground, the other two will be your up/down wires. Sorry for the long message. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MEH66
arrivalanche 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
if all else fails go aftermarket or run your own wires.
meh66 
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

I think that is the way I am heading as I can not find a schematic for this car circuitry. Here is what I was thinking about during, let me know if you think this will work. I want to add a relay to the antenna wires, but I must first find the up/down wire on the antenna first.

85 - power ant output from unit

86 - ground
30 - +12v
87 - Antenna Up wire
87a - antenna down wire

My only concern and hesitation is that I have no idea how to stop the current from flowing once the antenna is totally down. Let me know what you think.

MEH66

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic