90 Caprice tach wire ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harrisell1 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem locating a tach wire on a 90 Caprice.  I'm installing the autopage RS-855LCD.  In my chart (which you can't always go by) says the wire is suppose to be PURPLE / white or white @ the coil. Now at the coil, the wires are reading more ,way more than 1 to 6 volts.  I did find a green wire mounted to a module on the firewall it had 3 wire coming out it, (green, white, & pink) that gave me the 1 to 6 volts from the green , even when I accelerated the meter started to rise & when let off of the accelerator it dropped back down.  I figured this was the wire but when I turned the ignition off the meter was still reading voltage & it started rising, pegging the meter.  The 855 is not accepting this as a tach reading to program the remote start.  This car is fuel injected but it doesn't have the fuel rails to tap into. This set up has a carberated style housing with 4 little modules on top each of them having 2 wires coming out of them but they didn't give me the correct reading either.  Could anyone help me out.  Thank you in advance. 

electronics
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
I find the best way to find a tach wire is at the ECU and I think your Caprice is the same as our Holden Statesman so should be in left hand kick.  Worst case get it behind the cluster and try a LED test light using the negative pole as probe while the positive is on constant.  That way you wont blow anything.
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
Your car is throttle-body injected, hence no injector rails.
The white wire at the coil is the correct wire, do you have your meter set to read AC voltage?
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I have the meter set on the ac side at the 10 scale because the voltage is suppose to read between 1-6 volts & the white wire that's coming out of the coil is pegging the meter on the 10 scale on the ac selection??
electronics
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
What does it read if you up your scale? Have you tried to use that wire? Does there happen to be a purple white at the ignition coil?
To be honest, I am lazy...with most GM in that age bracket, I do not even bother metering the wire. I just hook to the white and program the tach, so it may indeed provide more than 10volts. It is more important to have a noticable difference in voltage as rpm increases and decreases than the actual voltage of the wire.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

MCEP, I have not tried to use that wire.  Reason being that it registered more than 6 volts actually pegging the meter.  This guy is going to bring it back this Saturday & will try that white wire.  I did not see a PURPLE / white.  Thank you guys, everyone for the help.

I have another question nothing to do with the previous subject.  I have a jeep & the blower motor for the heat,ac, & defrost only worked on high.  It use to work on the low & med levels, now it's not even working on high.  This just happen today.  My question is ( I did check the fuse, it was good) could that be the switch going out or went out.  Seeing how it only worked on the high position or the motor itself?

electronics
Twelvoltz 
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure if it is the same problem, but had a newer dodge caravan with a similar problem. Had to change out a controller pack that was mounted in the ductwork.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok , thanks for that info!
electronics
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
Caprice: The ECM should be somewhere under the passenger's dash----probably in the kick panel, possibly behind the glove box. You could always hunt up the tach wire over there.
(It is a sedan, right? The station wagon remained carbureted until the new body style came out for 1991.)
Jeep: Like twelvoltz says, probably the resistor pack---they do fail from time to time, and they're not expensive.
Find the climate-control blower motor under the hood; should have two thick wires. Follow those to the resistor pack. You'll notice that it's mounted so it's exposed to the climate-control's airflow, for cooling.
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Twelvoltz, one thing I neglected to add was the motor made a squealing noise before it stopped working.  That's why I'm leaning towards the blower motor & the resistor pack, seeing how it only worked on the high position.  I can't get to the blower from under the hood because it's enclosed.  I probably have to go inside on the passenger under the dash.
electronics

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic