ts-w1500spl subbox

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mgoddard2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I have a quick question

I have a TS-W1500SPL 4ohm DVC 600W rms Sub that I want to build a box for, the instructions that came with the sub, say 1.0cubic foot of internal sealed space. I currently have designed a box with 1.20 cubic feet of internal space, what effects will this have on the sub and sound quality, I am running this sub with  a Rockford Fosgate Punch P6001bd mono amp with 600W rms at 2 ohms

Thanks for your time

Matt

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

With every case of a sealed enclosure that I have looked at and when dealing with an enclosure size in the 1 to 2 cu ft range, the change from 1 to 1.2 made no apparent audible difference.  It is a fact, as well, that manufacturers "round down" to a size that the marketing dept thinks will be the easiest size to buy for.  Here's a f'rinstance: 

Joe is buying his first sub setup, doesn't know much about it and can't build a box.  He sees a sub that specifies a 1.2 cu ft box.  Joe looks at premade boxes and finds a lot with 1 cu ft.  And he finds some with 1.25 cu ft, but they cost more.  Neither one fits 1.2, Joe thinks.  So he looks at sub B, which says it works in a 1 cu ft box.  Sold?  Sold!  Sub and box and Joe thinks he is the wise shopper.

Marketing depts know Joe.  But you, mgoddard2, are on the best car audio forum on the planet, and have access to info far and above what Joe knows.  And this member of the forum is saying that most subs specified for 1 cu ft enclosures will, in fact, sound better if the volume is a little larger!  The effect with the 1.2 box will most likely be about 1 or 2 additional Hz on the low end and a little less peak in the middle of the range around 50 Hz, which equates to better SQ.

(...Note:  this is a guess, not a specific look at that sub.)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mgoddard2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks a lot for your time stevdart,  It makes sense to me, 1.2 cubic foot box I designed fits in my space very well, so thats why I wondered,

Thanks again

Matt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic