icon

93 300ZX Bose Changeout

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 93 300ZX with the Bose system and after having my head unit repaired, I'm now having a problem with the rear amps.I know this system is proprietary and you can't just install aftermarket components unless you replace everything. With that said, are there any resources available to recommend the best way to accomplish this?  Are there any adaptors or kits to do the job right without butchering up the factory wiring?  I think I'm ready to change out the whole system and am hoping someone else has done it and can help me figure out the best way to do it. Thanks for any help or recommendations, Joe in Texas.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Joe, any reputable shop will have no issues with a upgrade like this. A new drop in system will not for the most part use the factory wiring at all. Personally when I am faced with a replacement job, I always run new wires to every component, this is the best way to proceed and while it may cost the customer added $, it is the proper way to do things. When it comes time to resell the vehicle, it is a easy remove your product and put the old factory garbageola back in for the next person to cringe at. A good shop is going to be able to manufacture necessary speaker baffles, run the proper wire through the proper areas of the vehicle and of course wire the system properly. Find yourself a good specialty shop in your area and go from there.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Agree with Rob, it is not a difficult job. I keep templates for front and rear speakers on that job because we see so many of them because of the high Bose failure rate. The deck is an iso mount, no kit needed.

PS: Congrats on post #4000 Rob.

There is no such thing as free installation!
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Guys...I will be doing this myself so any recommendations on which speakers and any pointers as to how to mount as to not mess any factory stuff up would be appreciated.  As you said, no problem on the HU install. Just a matter of running the wiring and figuring out the speakers.  tcss, any chance of getting a copy of your templates?  Thanks again,  Joe

Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

You can also install a new radio by using a metra plu 70-1763 as well as an antenna adapter 40-ni11, leave the original speakers and use the existing wiring, no need to run wires inside door or rear speaker, go to amps unplugged them  and jump the wires to the speaker. If u utilize the factory speakers it will keep it low on you budget, but if you must you can change them rear can fit 6.5" speakers no adapter require. Front doors are trickier the speaker are around a 3.5" or 4" inch if you feel you camn make and adapter and install 6.5" speaker. But remember I have done a few and never ran wires trought out the car. The wire that go to the amps go directlly to the radio good luck here is a diagram for the car with bose.

93 300ZX Bose Changeout -- posted image.

Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
Jweb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the diagram.  Can't seem to find the Metra plu 70-1763 online though. They don't show anything for my ZX on their site.  Joe
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Basically the templates are fairly easy to make. When you pull the Bose module out of the front door, center it over a large piece of ABS plastic. Using a pic, etch the shape of the Bose piece into the smooth side of the ABS. Cut out the shape using tin snips and drill out the three bolt holes. Get your speaker ring and etch and cut your speaker. Flip upside down and trace for the other side.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

quick google search

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/70-1763.html

Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic