icon

Wet head unit, worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well long story short my sister car caught on fire today, from the bottom how we don't know yet but any way. The fire department came and put the fire out. It was working its way into the car but it got the cd player wet. I took it apart and got as much water out as i could, and i am letting it dry under a warm fan. Do you think it will work since it didn't get turned on or i am just wasting time? And it hasn't been turned on since before the fire. i have it in a million parts going to put it back together tomorrow when it is all dry. Thought i would ask and see if anyone has ever tried this LOL
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Spoken like the true car audio fanatic!  Umm...how's your sister doing?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
I think you will be ok. Just let it dry for 2 or 3 days then give it a shot. Tell sis I am sorry about her ride. I had my bronco burn it sucks. I worked my butt off and rebuilt mine. Ins. company was a pain in the neck, but they did pay me what I wanted. The bronco is now better than ever.
Big Dave
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
She is fine but thats not what i am worried about. LOL
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
water isn't the enemy of electronics, its what is suspended in the water such as minerals that pose the problem. pure water by itself is nonconductive. however if it has a high mineral content and this mineral residue is left on the electronics, shorts potentialy could occur. i'm not trying to scare you. just a little fyi. but like the others have said let it dry out. if you wanted to go the extra mile you could give it a bath say in acetone (i think thats what the board houses use to clean circuit boards, someone can correct me if i'm wrong on this) and let it dry, to make sure no residue is left behind.
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yea the cops just left my house looking for her, trying to blame her. I really doubt she did it i don't know to many people weather they are pissed or not gona burn a six month old BMW
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

correction

dont use acetone it can eat thru plastics. a bath of distilled water and then let dry thoroughly. an optional method of drying would be to put the electronics in your oven at a 150f for 4 or 5 hours. 

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
I definitely wouldn't burn my BMW.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
pmh61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
SWEET Well guys i let it dry and gave it a good cleaning, and i am the proud new owner of a CD7000. YEAA
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

Was someone by chance, ummm, working on her BMW or just had work done to her BMW by chance..... any idea as to what started the fire?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic