icon

blowing my subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the_one369 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

i have 2 12'' Alpine type R's and i keep blowing them. i am pushing each sub with a Kenwood KAC7201 at 4 ohms and the subs handle 500 rms and the amps put out about 470 rms what am i doing wrong??

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
How is your gain set?
Support the12volt.com
the_one369 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

not quite all the way up but just below where they start to clip

lightdir 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
what is the crossover frequency set at?
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
The box size and type could also come into play
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Need more information like box size, type, bass boost?, crossovers, type of wiring, ect..
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
the_one369 wrote:

i have 2 12'' Alpine type R's and i keep blowing them. i am pushing each sub with a Kenwood KAC7201 at 4 ohms and the subs handle 500 rms and the amps put out about 470 rms what am i doing wrong??

You are: 

1)  Clipping your amplifier badly, sending more than 500w to them, and not moving the driver enough for it to cool properly. 

or

2)  Using a ported enclosure, not clipping your amplifier, but just hitting your sub's mechanical excursion limits...

or

3)  Both.

Read http://www.bcae1.com/ for information on gain setting.  Like another poster said, we need more information to help you.  Are you using a ported enclosure?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
the_one369 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

the power supply running to the amps is fine i have a volt meter and it is steady at 14.7-8 even when at a stop.  the box size is 1.25 cubic feet sealed which is the recommondation for the subs. the bass boost is off.  the frequency is set to about 55 hz

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you are clipping the amp, either with a bad input signal or an over-driven gain or both, and thus overpowering the speakers.  Plus, it may work for your setup, but 55Hz low-pass is pretty low... not that that will blow your speakers by itself, but it may be the reason your gain could be set too high.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Are your subs a single 4 ohm coil or a dual 4 ohm coil, if the latter, how are they wired?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic