icon

Autopage 860 range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed an autopage 860 on my 2001 suburban. All is working fine except I have EXTREMELY poor range. 100 tp 150 feet at best. This is just pitiful for a 2way. The factory remotes work at that range. I mounted the antenna just like the install manual says, on the upper drivers side windshield, pointing up. Its about 7 or 8 inches from the top. Any ideas? Should I try moving it? Oh, and I dont have tint incase someone thinks that may be the problem.
Preyhunter 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
If that is your outdoor range, then it is poor. If it is from inside a well constructed building with thick walls and such, then it's understandable.
I would try moving the transceiver closer to the top of the windshield or possibly the center of the windshield, close to the rearview. If that doesn't fix it then you may have other issues. All of the Autopage units I've used have had great range.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
As Prey said, move the antenna directly behind the rearview. Make sure you have a clean, solid chassis ground connection (not to a factory bolt), and make sure the excess antenna wire under the dash is not coiled up, keep it as straight as possible.
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
My range is very poor whether I'm indoors or in an empty parking lot. The ground I used is the metal frame under neath the steering column. I also have the antenna wire tightly coiled and zip tied into a small bundle. This may be my problem then? I'll try loosening it and keep you posted.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Move your ground as well. The metal frame under the steering column may be just bolted into place over paint/primer/etc. Put the ground to the kick panel, find a spot that has nothing behind it and scrape away all of the paint/primer and use a small self tapping screw with a star washer.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure the you don't run the wires coming out of the bottom of the antenna right along its housing then straight up to the headliner. The wire would then be about a 1/2" or less from the antenna and parrallel to it. This will cause poor range too.
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
update: Ok I moved the ground wireor should I say (extended) it and screwed it in the kick panel area behind the parking brake. I sanded the paint completely off. I uncoiled the antenna wire bundle so now it just a loose "nest" hanging around in the dash. I didnt move the antenna though. Still the same poor range. I guess I'll try moving the antenna over by the rearview mirror now. I gotta go get some double sided tape first so I can re-attach it to the glass.
cguys 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
just an idea ,  i have a stock 2000 chev silverado , my factory key fobb doesnt work at all up at my dads house , but then works fine when i get away from his house , i doesnt matter if its parked on the street or his driveway or down the street ,  but when i get home or somplace else it works from a long ways away .......  there has to some kind of interference up there .....its done this same thing for years ......so just something to try i guess ???   my other alarms work ok up there ,  so maybe a same freq is causeing the inteference ??
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
I havent really used it too many places, but everywhere I have tried it, it has poor range. So far I've only used it at home, my work, and several stores and shopping centers I've been. I've come out of walmart and out in the open parking lot it would work until I was within about 150 feet of it. I had a crimestopper 2way (2005fm I think) on my Oldsmobile and the range was eye popping. It would start my car out in the parking lot from way in back of walmart(and we all know how big walmart is).
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
I moved the antenna to the center of the windsheild behind the rearview mirror. Still no improvement. Any more ideas??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic