icon

High End Audio w/ Factory Radio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
philedw1019 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 Cadillac Eldorado that I am looking to put my existing stereo into. However, since no one makes a dash kit for this car, I have chosen to stick with my factory radio instead of making my own. I know it sucks to do it this way but anything home made would not look right. My question is fairly simple. How terrible will it sound with high-low converters using a high end amp with high end door speakers and sub.I know everyone uses the term high-end loosely and some consider equipment bought from Best Buy high end so I've decided to include a rundown of what I'm working with in hopes to get a better answer for my problem. I am using a pair of Diamond Audio D7402 amps that are pushing 400X2 RMS with THD of 0.02% Each amp is used for each pair of speakers. My speakers are Boston Acoustics Z5 Components. I am also using a third D7402 to push my two 10" Diamond Audion MacDaddy MD10.8 Subwoofers All of this equipment came out of my previous car which had a McIntosh head unit. Being that I can no longer use this head unit and it would look stupid if I tried, I am left with no other option. I personally have never done a high end stereo in a car and kept the factory radio. Therefore, I am looking for any advice on the subject on the best way to approach this and the best materials to use. Also, will I get anywhere close to the sound I paid for out of this system while using the factory radio? I not closed to the idea of using a dash kit. I just can't find one. Like I said, any and all advice is welcome. Thanks a lot.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  

In short no. You have a lot of nice equipment you really owe it to your self to let a shop buid up something for a good stereo. I have seen some nice installs that used the glove box to hold the HU. Then when some one looking in all they see is the factory stereo Then again I could be wrong about the sound from the factory HU I don't think I am though, sorry.

schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Look into the JL cleansweep product line.  It allows you to use the factory deck and pull off signal on RCA's to run the amps.  A great way to have a highend sound while still using the factory source.

a true canadian eh!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

It can be done. I have seen and heard plenty of systems utilizing a factory deck (Like BMW's and Masers).

Like suggested above, a clean sweep or lc6 would be ideal, but a good quality hi/lo converter will work too.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
The new Rockford 3 sixty line up looks like a promising converter/eq built in to one box. Its designed for people like you that want high end gear but need to keep the stock deck.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

I use the factory deck in my car, too, and I appreciate the overall sound quality...but I realize its limitations.  The factory deck sends a high voltage/ low level signal through the speaker wires.  The alternative, an aftermarket deck, provides a low voltage/ high signal output at the line level.  High level, line level...which is best?

The greater signal-to-noise ratio will be had with the greater size of the signal.  Low volts/ high signal (the aftermarket deck) provides the cleanest signal to be amplified.  You can get good sound with a high quality converter, but you will unleash the quality of your equipment with a high quality deck.  My take on this is to use the converter until such a time comes that a dash kit is available, then upgrade the deck.

( I should be in the dash kit business.  There's no kit for an '02 Escalade??)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
In this situation I would use the Audio Control 6XS or the LC6 + bass remote. The 6XS is probably the better choice. It is a highly advanced LOC, line driver, crossover, master level controller and comes with a dash mountable sub level control. www.audiocontrol.com
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
philedw1019 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the great advice. I've thought about the Glove box as a possibility and installed a couple of head units there before in other cars. However, I would like to stay away from doing that. I like the vehicle to not only appear stock but function like stock as well. The only solution I came up with considering that limitation is to connect the factory speaker wires as well as the speaker wires coming from the amp to the crossover. In essense running two seperate systems using the same speakers. This option would include a seperate head unit in the glove box and using the factory head unit when I need to look professional and the deck when I am alone. However, I don't know the effects this would have on the Boston Acoustics speakers which demand LOTS of power.
Also, I am still a little confused on the actual function of some of the equipment you all suggested. Are they just more advanced high low converters? I'm sorry if I'm a little slow on some of this stuff. I don't have much experience working with factory head units and I've been out of the game for a while. Every other car I have ever done, I have installed new head units. Thanks for all of the input and advice. By the way, its an Eldorado, not an Escalade like mentioned before.
philedw1019 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2006 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just to clarify also....I prefer extreme clarity in my music rather than ground-pounding bass. That may have been evident in my existing setup but I thought I would clarify anyway. That is why I'm so concerned with the signal to noise ratio coming out of the factory head unit.
Also, the LC6 has 6 inputs and 6 outputs. My factory head unit only has four outputs with no seperate sub. Will I be able to utilize all 6 channels from the LC6 while only giving it 4 inputs? Thanks again guys!
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

I am by no means an expert but I don't think your going to be happy with your system. So just go with a good sytstem with the factory deck and then build up a killer home system it will far out perform just about any car system. I know I have not herad any car system that can match my home set up.

There are some really good shops out there than can build you a deck kit an make it look factory but then that comes down to how much your willing to spend and if there is anyone that good in your area.

Hopefully some thing works out for you.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic