< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seeker1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm running an Infinity 611a class d with the following spec's

611a

• 456W RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms and ²1% THD + N

• Signal-to-noise ratio: 70dBA (reference 1W into 4 ohms)

• 657W RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms, 14.4V supply and

²1% THD + N

• Dynamic power: 761W at 2 ohms

• Effective damping factor: 6.336 at 4 ohms

• Frequency response: 17Hz – 302Hz (–3dB)

• Maximum input signal: 6V

• Maximum sensitivity: 75mV

• Output regulation: .179dB at 4 ohms

This amp has a 2 channel or a single channel bridged output. I've set up so each coil is powered by individual channels, keeping a 4 ohm load. If I wire it in a single channel setup coils in parallel the load goes to 2 ohm and the output rms is to high and will blow the coils. Being a newbie to this and a virgin to boot, I could be wrong in this setup. I hope not. My confidence would be crushed. But if I am please advise.

The ported enclosure I built following the spec's from JL web page " http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf "

A 1 cubic ft ported enclosure.

Only the strong survive.
Eat the weak.
drbizerk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 12" ALPINE TYPE X that actually sounds better and beats harder when ran off of only one of its coils. my amp is two ohm stable so the sub wired parallel ( dual 4 ohm ) shows two ohm load at the amp. when cut in half ( using 1 of the 2 coils) it shows 4 ohms and cuts the max output of my amp in half. i dont understand why it is so much louder
spanyerd 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 3:56 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
1lowgalant wrote:
I know I've seen subs suffer damage due to running only one voice coil on a dvc.
No, you have not. Not SPECIFICALLY from only running one voice coil. What was probably the CAUSE of the damage, if there was truly damage done, was from overpowering the single voice coil......... Nice thing about blowing one coil? You have a second one to go through BEFORE you have to buy another woofer! Running One VC on a DVC Sub - Page 14 -- posted image.

When wiring only one VC of a DVC sub, can you (or anyone really) ball-park how often the "damage" has been isolated to only the one wired VC? Are the VC's typically one of the weaker or stronger links in the chain? I ask because I'm curious as to how much consideration should be given to the likelihood of "having a second one [VC] to go through BEFORE you have to buy another woofer". Coin-toss? Miracle? 1-in-10? 1-in-1000?

Anything would help. Thanks in advance.

Excellent forum!!

Got a burnin' for some learnin'.
pubwoofer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  
i am using a dvc sub and a 4 channel amp, have tried 8ohms in series briged at the amp,its ok but can i wire each vc with its on wire, one set to the + and - of channel 3 and the other set to the + and - of channel 4?, will the amp be then pushing out 2 ohms? my amp says not to bridge with 2 ohm set up..
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
You can connect it with one coil to channel 3 and the other coil to channel 4.  Each channel will see 4 ohms.  It will make the same EXACT power into the 8 ohm bridged configuration you had it at, versus the 4 ohm stereo load.  You should have purchased a dual 2 ohm or a dual 8 ohm driver.  Or get another amp for your highs, and bridge one coil to channels 1 and 2 and the other coil to channels 3 and 4 of your 4 channel amp.
pubwoofer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2010 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

[quote]You should have purchased a dual 2 ohm or a dual 8 ohm driver[quote/]

thx for that, another monday night quarterback LOL.

atmospherejo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2010 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

hi guys ,

i read all your posts and i think its very fruitfull and i loved the way everybody chatts with an open mind to learn and this is exactly why i just became a member .

I NEED HELP WITH DVC SUBBS

I HAVE AN AMP WHICH IS SAID IT DRIVE 200 WATTS AT 4 OHM AND 300 AT 2 OHM OK

THE POINT IS I HAVE JBL SUB P1224 WHICH IS A DVC 4OHM EACH 200 WATTS EACH , WHAT I KNOW THAT IF I GO TO 8 OHMS THE HANDLING IS 400 WATT , IF I WENT TO 2 OHM WILL IT STILL BE 400 WATTS OR IS IT GOING TO BE 200 WATTS , WILL IT BE RISKY TO GIVE IT A 300 WATTS TOO?

REGARDS

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE ANSWER IF U CAN.

atmosphere performance
car audio & video
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
WOW!! doesn't seem like it's been almost four years since i posted this thread. how time flies! nice to know a lot of people have benefited from it. great info guys!
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
i am going to throw myself under the bus here and make myself look like an amature.  Before reading this, i would have taken your side of this argument 1lowgalant.  I remember asking this question when i first started installing years ago, and i got the answer that,"both must be wired or it will cause damage."  The installer who gave me that answer even wen as far as to explain why.  "He siad each coil powered half the sub, one did the right side of the sub, and the other did the left.  If you were to power only one side; obviously, the sub would move out of ballance and end up damageing itself."  I took that answer as truth and never questioned it.  8 years later and i read this thread and start to think about it.  Now, thinking about that answer i was giving so many years ago, it was obvuiosly a dumb answer i was given, and cannot believe that i took it as truth.  Thanks for the info, and for bumping a 5 year old post so that it would be read by people newer to the site, like myself. 
If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
joshr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
The whole point of the dvc sub is so you can use both coils to run more power and to run more subs. If you only use one vc then you r wasting your money. Any svc sub will smash on a dvc sub only running one coil. If you are going to run one vc on a dvc then you might as well buy a svc sub
jr
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic