the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Warped:
I just read your first post/question.
No, you cannot parallel the voice coils, as that would be 2 ohms, and then a bridge to the amplifier would put a 1-ohm load on the amplifier - incompatible.
Your best bet would be to put one voice coil on each channel (IF IT IS ACTUALLY A TWO CHANNEL AMPLIFIER) and run it that way - at 4-ohms per channel. That, by the way, is EXACTLY the same load and power combination as wiring the voice cols in series for an 8-ohm load, and then bridging the amplifier. Your amplifier will "see" 4-ohms per channel.
WHAT amplifier, EXACTLY do you have? Nearly all mono- amplifiers have two sets of terminals (four terminal screws) but the outputs are internally paralleled. If this is the case with yours, then you can still use the amplifier, and wire one coil to each terminal set, and you'll be presenting your amplifier with a 2-ohm load. We need to know first what your hardware is, though...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
drbizerk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

i have a JBL/CROWN A6000GTI amplifier. Please school me. When nothing you said applies to that amp I have about 10 more that you will like.  Thank you for the TECHNICAL term lesson....I will admit that i was slacking or maybe just trying to help someone by answering a question to the best of my ability in a way that they may understand. Did you ever get around to giving the "correct" answers?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
drbizerk wrote:

i have a JBL/CROWN A6000GTI amplifier. Please school me. When nothing you said applies to that amp I have about 10 more that you will like.  Thank you for the TECHNICAL term lesson....I will admit that i was slacking or maybe just trying to help someone by answering a question to the best of my ability in a way that they may understand. Did you ever get around to giving the "correct" answers?

I have no idea what you are asking/saying... I would also ask how my answers are "incorrect". I was ALSO just trying to help you, I wasn't doing anything beyond that.
As to the amplifier you mentioned... It's a mono amplifier, the output screws are connected internally, and if you put a 4-ohm woofer on each set of screws, (+- and +-) the amplifier will be loaded to 2-ohms. It's already bridged internally. It's not bridgeable further. If you connect across the outside terminals, you are not bridging it at all, as the negative terminal pair and positive terminal pair are electrically connected inside the amplifier.
Now... if you'll read my posts, I asked the OTHER poster what HIS amplifier was...
Next.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
warped82 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2013 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Warped:
You will always have 8 ohms. The impedance of the woofers are not carried. It only tells you what the electrical resistance of that driver is. That number is also *always* whatever the impedance of the woofer is. Impedance is a dynamic number, stated as ohms, with the nominal impedance of a given driver the stated number - i.e. 8-ohms, or 4-ohms. The amplifier creates power, it doesn't "handle" power. Drivers "handle" power. The amount of power an amplifier can create is determined by the load attached to the terminals. If an amplifier is stated at 1000W at 4-ohms, then you can generally safely say that at 8-ohms it will make about half that amount, possibly a little more.
Okay, well that makes sense. My terms might not be technically correct, but i'm pretty sure you can follow what i'm saying. I do appreciate you correcting me and explaining it in detail though.
I know that the amp determines the power it creates based on the ohms presented to it by the driver.   Which is why I posted my original question. My amp produces the most power when it is bridged and connected to a driver that has an impedance of 4 ohm. Yes I know that this is divided in half, and that each channel individually will have to carry a load of 2 ohm, with a total impedance of 4 ohm. This is why I don't want to wire the sub at 2 ohm, because my amp is only 2 ohm stable.
I made the assumption that this is why people suggest only using one voice coil. With an amp like mine, would I not get the most power out of the amp by using only one voice coil ? ( 4 ohm )   From reading this entire thread, in previous post it was stated that this will lower the maximum power the driver can handle. Since my amp only puts out a maximum of 2000 watts bridge @ 4 ohms.(I think this is exaggerated some by the manufacturer), but its what it said on the box. The speaker according to the manufacturer can handle 3600 watts. I might be wrong on this but the more power sent to the driver the louder it is, at least this is my assumption. Even if the amps peak power handling is lowered, it just seems logical that the speaker would still be louder at this configuration. I could wire the speaker to present 8 ohm to the amplifier, but as you said this would lower the wattage that the amp puts out. I know that wiring the driver at 8 ohms is probably the safest thing to do, but it's economy equipment anyways. When the speaker finally arrives I will wire it at 8 ohms, then compare it to a single voice coil at 4 ohms. I will share the results. Thanks for all the helpful information.
warped82 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2013 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Its an economy brand. Pyle http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/pla2378
It is two channel. There are 4 terminals and it has a switch to function in both mono and stereo modes.
Its a low budget amp, but I have been satisfied with it. Do you know anything about this model ?
warped82 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2013 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
warped82 wrote:
Even if the amps peak power handling is lowered, it just seems logical that the speaker would still be louder at this configuration.
Sorry I meant the speakers peak power handling is lowered.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2013 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
warped82 wrote:
Its an economy brand. Pyle http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/pla2378
It is two channel. There are 4 terminals and it has a switch to function in both mono and stereo modes.
Its a low budget amp, but I have been satisfied with it. Do you know anything about this model ?
What do you want to know?
Support the12volt.com
281clo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
extacy wrote:

So when you wire up a single VC on a DVC sub ... whats the better option ... short the other voice coil (... done by simple attaching a wire b/w + and - right ?) ... or leave the unused voice coil open ?

I'm sorry to ask a question that extacy already asked, but the reply was via link and the link is dead.
So just to clarify, I WILL be wiring only one VC on two subs, should I short the unused coil or just leave it open? Thank you in advance.
Great thread by the way, top in searches and still helping many people after years of being started.
Let your bass push you thoughts outside the box.
Page of 16

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic