icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
murdakillemall 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Just to add to this topic, I had a question...

I'm trying to maximize my usage of components. I already have two 4-ohm 12 inch subs, single voice coil, wired at 2-ohm on a mono amp. Eventually, I'll be replacing the speakers with something new. I wanted to buy two 4-ohm dual voice coil speakers so that I can be variable with the wiring options. Now, the amp is not 1-ohm stable so my wiring options were limited. To maximize the amp power, I would have to run a 2-ohm load. Later in life (when I get more money) I will either get an additional amp that is the same as the current one (basically using 2 mono amps) or one 2-channel amp that is stable at 2-ohms.

So, the question is, with the new speakers and the current amp, would it hurt to run one coil from each speaker in parallel with the other speaker to get a 2-ohm load on the amp?

addicted 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
4ohm. dvc. subs, using 1vc from each wired in parallel, bridged 2 channel amp. that would be a 2ohm load from the woofers so the amp "see's" 1ohm in mono state correct?
addicted 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
the amplifier is stable to 1/2 ohm.
addicted 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
and if i wire each vc. in parallel that would give me a 1 ohm. load. the amplifier would "see" 1/2 ohm. load is that not safe? would my dynamic headroom be at its peak? (orion 250 hcca a classic) i would think not very much playing time before cooking my amp.
camusmuse 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

how many ohms are each coil?  two subs(four coils)....if they are 4ohms each, then you can go 1 ohm(parallel), 4ohm(parallel/series combo), or 16ohm(series).  You can run that HCCA at 1ohm mono but it will run HOT and youll need active cooling(and one hell of a charging system for the unregulated PS).  for a daily system might be better running stereo at 2 ohms per channel.  I had two of these years ago and ran one mono at  2ohms and it was amazing(two orionxtr 12's..nothing special), then the other amp for my highs(Peerless 6.5, orion nt4 and nt1 all at 4 ohms)....little low on volume, but sounded fantastic.  Plus two 250 hcca's lined up with the "spacer" just looks cool....

addicted 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
4 ohm. vc's, and i have an 12 volt ocsillating fan on the amp, not the carshow type set-up, but i need to be efficient while satisfying the bass need. 2 ohms per channel would take me out of mono mode. shouldn't a signal be in mono for these subs? (15 kicker comp.cvr4ohm.) i think i will try that. see how i sound, i do need a power friendly system at times. hcca's are current hungry.
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
the amp doesn't "see" a 1/2 ohm load, the given load is shared between both sets of rails inside the amp. regarding the subs requiring a mono signal, a sub doesn't know what kind of amp it's hooked to. stereo and mono are conditions involving the way the channels are wired for output. a subs only concern is handling the supplied power without going passed it's thermal limits. the lower the supplied impedance, the harder the amp has to work resulting in ineffecient power due to being lost as heat.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
cabsnow 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Kenwood Kac-7202 amp and a Alpine Type R SWR-1242D!
What is the proper way for me to hook this up. Thanks for the help in advance!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
GOOD LORD MAN.....buy another sub....!
cabsnow 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
GOOD LORD MAN.....buy another sub....!
May i ask why i should buy a new sub?
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic