icon

2003 saturn ion airbag wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dilligaf 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I replaced my 2003 saturn ion steering wheel with a 2004 saturn ion redline steering wheel. The wheel and cruise controls work perfectly, however, I don't have the 2004 redline airbag to complete it. Before anyone gets pissed and rants about how stupid it is to remove an airbag, lemme say that this is not a daily driver. This is my weekend car which I'm building into a show car. The airbag for this wheel costs $700, so we've decided not to replace it. Instead, we've decided to do like the apc 2003 saturn ion sedan and install an lcd screen. We knew when installing this wheel that the airbag light would be on constantly until the bag is replaced, but since we aren't going to replace it, what can we do to "trick" the computer into thinking that the bag is still in tact to get the light to go away? There are two plugs that go into the bag, can we plug in a resistor or jumper wire? Any help is appreciated.
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
An easy fix that may work is to remove the gauge cluster and see if there is an individual light that controls the air bag, and remove it.  My wife had a Suzuki Esteme, she bought cheap when her car got stolen, that had been in a front end collision and the airbags were out of the car, and I was able to remove the light.  It's not the best way, but it may work 
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring wise the data wire goes to the cluster and controls the airbag indicator so that's of no help. As suggested you may want to check for an individual bulb for the light which may be accessible from the back of the cluster, or from the inside. Also if you look closely at the airbag connector near the wheel there is usually some shorting pins that come down when you unplug it. Similar to what you mentioned about jumping the wires, they most likely are already jumped. If those pins don't short out, it may not throw the light but I can't say for sure. I have no experience in doing this just throwing some ideas out there. Ohh and standard disclaimer I would never recommend anyone removing the airbag and putting in an LCD screen ;) Good luck,
Mike
Dilligaf 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

I've had the cluster out numorous times, but that was way before this project came about so I didn't think to look for an individual bulb. I know that everyone advises against removing the airbag, especially to install a screen, thats why I did a  search this topic and also why I posted that this isn't my daily driver and was being built as a show car. Thanx anyways for your advice. If something better doesn't come along, thats what I'll try.

If you'd like to see the progress of my car so far, here's a link. And keep in mind that I just swapped the steering wheel so its not longer gray.

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/blueion2[/url]

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic