icon

Viper 791xv in 1988 Corvette

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
88vette 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

I'm putting a 791xv  in soon and wanted to know of any tips/tricks I need to know.

Presently I have an older model Viper alarm (dont' remember model-need to look it up) on the car that was professionally installed.  I'm aware of the VATA issue and have the proper resistor value and relay.  My current alarm is interfaced with the factory OEM alarm and power door locks for keyless entry.

What I'm wondering is if the older viper alarm harness will plug into the newer Viper brain or I'll have to cut/splice/rewire the whole thing using the newer brain with the currently installed sensors, starter kill and factory alarm interface?

Also any suggestions on where to find the best location to connect the tach wire?

Thanks in advance!

88vette 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
I mean VATS...sorry for the typo!
kobevsjordan 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

Best location for the tach wire would be a white wire or PURPLE / white wire at the ignition module. You may be able to find a white wire at the ignition coil I think. Also be sure and test it with your multimeter.

Set your multimeter to AC voltage.  START THE CAR. Clip your negative or black wire to a solid vehicle ground. Probe the wire you think might be the tach wire. You'll see 1 to 6 volts. Stepping on the gas or revving the car may increase the voltage you get.

Cut the wires from your old alarm close to the alarm as possible but leave room(maybe 3-5 inches) since you may want to reuse the old alarm and it's harnesses. Keep a wire guide for the old alarm handy since you may want to make sure that the function of each color on the old alarm equal the same color and function with the new alarm.

Good Luck!

A

88vette 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the tips!

I know it will be a job but I'd rather take my time and do it right than pay someone for a sloppy job.  I've installed alarms, head unit/receivers, amps and tons of other accesories but just not a remote start unit.  From reading the install guide this looks like fun....

cguys 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
theres quite a bit of room  right around the same place the vats is located , i have a 89 vett , and i installed a viper with a invisabeam talking radar , its alot of stuff so i had to put behind the breadbox on the pass side , this is where most of the vetts had the vats box .    it sounds like you will do fine . just a suggestion on where to find room .
88vette 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info cguys!

I've got my battery backup on the way and plan on doing the install next weekend if the weather is good.

If you can think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks again!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic