icon

FG door panels 03 cavalier 4-door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, I started a project on st patty's day, this is what I have done so far, enjoy. I'll keep updates a comin. Constructive criticism, praises and even flames are welcome!

FG door panels 03 cavalier 4-door -- posted image.

That's me makin sure the camera works hehe

Gettin ready for wrapping.

Twins... Actually it was pretty difficult making sure they were even

And the wrapping begins...

Gettin tighter

and then... no and then.... and then... no and then

handle and lock spot cut and wrapped

I had to make the pod slope down to flat on the door panel or it would bump the dash when it is put back on and then the door wouldn't be able to close. Staples worked good.

And the first coat of resin. It's kinda cold outside so it took it like 4 hours to harden. I just let it sit over night because it got late. I plan on adding 1 more coat of just resin to stiffen things up a little more, and then come in with some weave mat and more resin. You guys think I should pop it off of the original door, or just leave it on? I'm not real sure how it is going to hold.    Please all the suggestions you guys have, feel free to post.

fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
much thanks to the mods for fixing all my mistakes! I should have updated pics in a couple hours.
jargonscott 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Looking good man. I like the way you did your handle cut-outs. Can't wait to see how this comes along.
The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess...
Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.
sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I almost got my first layer of mat completed. I am mixing my resin kinda hot becuase it is only 50 degrees out, and it is hard to time it right to where I don't waste any. I will have pics by tonight though.
sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

NEW PICS, nothin special just my first layer of glass.

sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I don't know what I am doin wrong... pics are at these links

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/PICT1271.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/PICT1272.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/PICT1273.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~sdp/PICT1274.JPG

1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Looks good , Now your about to get the fun part the filler , what kinda filler are you using off hand ?
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO, I like the humor in this thread. Looks good so far...I hope you use some Rage Gold on these doors, if not, its gonna be HOURS of sanding for you!!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
I am going to be using bondoglass for some spots on the handle and arm rest that I need to fill in,  Then I planned on using bondo just because it's cheap.  But if it really makes a difference I might run down to autozone and get some rage gold.  What's the price difference, anyone know offhand?
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

you would have made your life easier using Mat instead of cloth...plus for this type of piece it is considerably stronger..adding extra resin orve an already cured piece will do nothing but add weight to it...and increase the chances of it cracking your finish..

torn pieces or mat will blend together considerably better then cut cloth ever could...but anyway what you have so far looks good...

just a couple tips for the finishing...when you coat it with filler...i personally prefer Rage gold..simply for sanding purposes..but there are other light weight fillers out there, "Bondo Brand" has a gold series filler that works well too..Rage gold is only a couple dollars more expensive then the other stuff..

as for finishing...and filling...you should mix yourself a nice runny MILKSHAKE batch of filler...

MilkShake is made by mixing 2:1 resin to filler and the appropriate amounts of thier associated hardeners possibly a drop or two less of the hardener just to give you a little time to spread the whole piece...since it is cold were you are working it may not matter how much hardener you use...just use the appropriate amount.. the resulting solution will have a milkshake like consistancy..using a flexible puddy knife spread this over everything about 2mm thick, possibly slightly thicker where you can see very obvious low spots..( IE where the Staples are) and dont worry this stuff will get ridiculously hard...

from there you will want to catch it in what is called a Clay Phase...where it isnt quite hard but not tacky to the touch...using a heavy grit paper or file you will be able to rip the stuff down very easily..if you leave it to cure...it wont be fun to sand...besure to allow it to cure before doing final sanding/ the majority of the sanding though...only catch it in the clay phase to knock off all the very high spots..the rest should be done after it has cured..

Bondo glass (Kitty Hair) is not necessary for door panels unless you plan on removing it from the door and inserting it by itself, without the factory anel behind it...if you really want to use it, there again thin it out with regular resin 2:1, so it will spread easier..the stuff is retarded thick, and doesnt spread very well or sanded fiberglass panels otherwise..

Fiberglass Guru.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic