starter disable not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harrisell1 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys,

It's me again with another problem.  By the way, thanks for the info on the tach wire.  This is the same car 90 caprice & the install is complete.  Everything works except for starter disable.  I've done alot of these but this has me stump.  I install a autopage 855 LCD on a 90 caprice & the starter disable not working.  This is what I did.  Cut the purple wire for the starter & the car didn"t start, connected 87a to the starter side, 30 to ignition switch, 86 to ground when armed from alarm ( orange wire), 85 to pink in the ignition harness on the that provide 12v  at on and start. Still didn't work, then I took the ground when arm wire off (orange from module) and grounded the 86 wire from the relay & grounded that wire, the starter disable worked.  I do believe I have a good ground for the alarm, it's going to the metal frame of the car.  No paint and a star washer.  It seems to me the ground when armed wire is not working right or the signal is not strong.  I did test that wire & I'm getting a signal. I put the meter on .25 dcv & push the lock button & got a reading so I don't know where to go with this.  Once again I need your help, thank again!

electronics
12tech 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
is the relay operating when its connected to the alarm?
kam
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Arm the system and check for continuity to ground on the alarm's ground when armed wire.  This must be the problem, as you stated that when you chassis ground 86 it works.  Hopefully you remembered to arm the system before you tried it??  If you are not getting ground on that wire, you may have a problem with the brain or where that harness plugs into the brain.
Keith
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Yes Kam the relay is working, I even changed relays & harness still didn't work.  Thanks anyway.

Keith, I did check for continuity on the orange wire.  I unplugged it from the brain & check to see if there was a break in the wire itself, the wire was good.  I didn't check for continuity on ground.  How would I go about checking that? 

electronics
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
The starter kill only works when the alarm is acutally going off.  Even though it states "Ground when armed"  it doesn't actually send enough current to trigger the relay untill the alarm goes off.  I couldn't tell from your post if this is when you tried it, so sorry if you already know this, alot of installers don't realize this.
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I knew it only works when the alarm is tripped.  That is how I knew it wasn't working.  Turning the ignition on while it is armed triggers the alarm & the car started up.  Thanks anyway, I will change out the brain this weekend to see what happens.
electronics
shahzammss 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I have exactly 100% same problem and I even changed the brain but same problem. Starter won't disable. I even tried on other manufactured Security systems. Same thing, Starter won't disable.

ANY IDEA PLEASE....

integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

maybe the voltage from the car drops really low when u try and start it???had a problem like that once

shahzammss 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Well

I checked the voltage. its constant at all. but no -ve pulse in -ve output wire from brain.

harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, Thanks everyone for your help.  I swapped the brain and everything works fine including starter disable.  Thanks again guys, you're very very helpful!!!!!
electronics

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic