icon

Heated seat kit and relay wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
repmud 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

I would like to verify the wiring before I go do it.  I want to make the the heating element only work when I turn the key.  I was planning on using a relay that I would wire like this, if I read correctly.

30 and 86 constant 12 volt with 30 having a fuze

87 to the power feed for the heat element kit

85 to the cigarette lighter power wire (it is only hot when key is turned)

87a empty

Will this work and is it correct?

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
repmud wrote:
I would like to verify the wiring before I go do it.  I want to make the the heating element only work when I turn the key.  I was planning on using a relay that I would wire like this, if I read correctly.

87a empty

PIN 85 needs a GROUND or Negative to trigger Relay.............

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
repmud 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
mo12v wrote:
repmud wrote:

87a empty

Ok, I'm a bit confused.  If I ground pin 85 how do I get the "turn key" to flip the relay?  I was planning on using the cigarette lighter circuit to do that since it only works when I turn the key.  I do not want the seat circuit to be hot when the car is off. 

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
mo12v wrote:
repmud wrote:

87a empty

Actually you'll need to ground 86.  This way the relay wil power up when you turn the car on.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

HELLO....if you ground both 85 and 86 your relay will do nothing.

If you still want to use the switch that comes with the kit, use Ign. 12v. to power the relay, pin 85 or 86 and I hope the switch is a negative trigger. pin 85 or 86.

Most of these hot seats have PRE-WIRRED relays connected to their switches....Im having a tough time understanding why you need to re-wire it.

repmud 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

HELLO....if you ground both 85 and 86 your relay will do nothing.

If you still want to use the switch that comes with the kit, use Ign. 12v. to power the relay, pin 85 or 86 and I hope the switch is a negative trigger. pin 85 or 86.

Most of these hot seats have PRE-WIRRED relays connected to their switches....Im having a tough time understanding why you need to re-wire it.

I'm not re-wiring, I'm adding a heated seat/leather kit to my car.  I have everything installed I just have to run wires and mount the switch.  I basically did not want to tap the cigarette lighter wire for power for both heating elements, I want to use it to switch the relay.  I wanted to run the heaters on their own circuit, but I only want them to be operational when the key is turned on so I can avoid killing the battery or starting a fire.  The kit I have does not seem to have the relay, all I have is the wires and a switch (x2, passengers seat/drivers seat).  If I didn't clear anything up please let me know, I want to try and wie this thing tonight so I can enjoy the heat for a month before it gets hot.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Pin 85 to ground
Pin 86 to "cigarette lighter Positive" (Switched hot)
Pin 30 to fused constant +12V
Pin 87 to +12V input of heater package (probably to feed switch)
Is this what you are asking? This would supply power via the relay only when there is +12V at the cigarette lighter.
repmud 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Twelvoltz wrote:
Pin 85 to ground
Pin 86 to "cigarette lighter Positive" (Switched hot)
Pin 30 to fused constant +12V
Pin 87 to +12V input of heater package (probably to feed switch)
Is this what you are asking? This would supply power via the relay only when there is +12V at the cigarette lighter.

Yes.  I see how it works now too, thank you.

doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need a relay for the seat heaters, that is what the switch is for.  Ground the black wire from the heaters, and connect the red wire to Ignition power.  Then the on/off switch that comes with the kit will control when they are on/off, but only when the Ignition is turned on.
dlek 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

both of the previous two posts have accurate solutions that seem to work with your system. it is up two you whether you want the heaters tp recieve power for the ignition circuit or the constant power circuit(with ignition circuit as the switch.

let us know how you wire it

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic