icon

scew up on speaker hole

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the noob 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
i just built a box for a JL 12 w6 and i made the hole too big how can i fix this with out screwing up the box ?? but keep the box looking good?
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
Make an insert with the right size hole and fit level with outside of box then make another 3mm thick ring bigger than the hole to fit inside as a support for the insert and glue in place
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

is the box MDF or fiberglass?

And how big too big is the hole? i cant imagine the sub falls through the hole..but if that is the case..then oh my..LOL..didnt you test fit the sub first before assembling the box?

if the hole is just a couple millimeters too big then it wont matter..as long as the screws will bite in without breaking loose...

i would assume it fiberglass since it is in this section...but you never know sometimes...LOL..

anyway...how is the sub mounted? intended to be mounted? were you going for a flush mount? if so it is an easy fix...if you were already going with a surface mount then i suppose the method above would work...

if you went with a flush mount design then just simply cut a ring that will fit in the hole and support the sub..you will then have a surface mount setup but it beats cutting the front of your enclosure out..

if your box is all MDF just recut the panel properly. and reassemble.

Fiberglass Guru.
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
a pictures says a centillion words...  ok, maybe not that many words!
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have another idea.  As mentioned above, if its just MDF, which you seemed concerned otherwise....it must be an MDF ring in a FG enclosure.  I had to build up an inner rim of a ring once.  I used polyester resin with talc and MDF sawdust, mixed it all up about 33% each, when it thickened as it was fully mixed, I added the hardener.  I timed it just right, right before it started to gel and give heat, I layered it on quickly on the inner rim of the ring to build it up...or actually build it in.  I acquired help between the quickly added layers, someone using a heat gun which aids in quick-cure (not really cured, but it hardens very quick) so that you can add another layer...uh, how many times have I said quickly.  Build it up as much as you need.  then all nice and carefully drill your holes in the build-up area and use a bolt/t-nut combo to secure the speaker in, instead of screws that will bite and possibly weaken the area.  If permissable, wet up(saturate) the whole ring, cover the rear of the speaker with foil, and press the speaker into it, that way it will cure to the shape of the speaker as well...then remove the speaker when cured, remove the foil, re-install the speaker....blah, blah, blah.  As for me, I bet this is the last time you make this mistake..LOL  It was my first and last mistake, test fitting should always be part of your build/fabrication regiment.  Either process you follow, I hope you the best.  Good luck, and lets us know whats up.

the noob 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
well it is a fully MDF box and i was thinking it would be easyer to cover it with FG then it leaves me more options.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
if it is a fully MDF box then it would be easier to cut a new baffle panel...andd fiberglass isnt going to make anything easier...well i cant say that forsure but...post some pics so we can see what you have done...
Fiberglass Guru.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

......there you have it.  Should be simple in that case.  Now, get to work and take pics so we can see that youve overcome the obstacle and gloat of your masterpiece!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic