icon

99 chevy silverado speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qmw54 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 99 chevy silverodo  ex cab. i am wanting to replace the door speakers front and backs. i know there are only two speakers in the back but in the front it looks like there are 2 in each door ? and i guess what i am wanting to know is how many speakers are in each front door , what size they are , and what size are the one in the back doors? what i am going for is what i like to call (tick). i already have lows i am just looking for highs now . my mids are ok but the highs suck lol. so any advice on some good speakers for this truck would be really nice.

thanks qmw54

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
On these trucks, if there are two speakers, you have the 6.5 (probably oversized) down bottom with a tweeter above it behind the same grill.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
i've always used a nice set of 6.5 oversize components in the front doors and they sound great.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

ok so there is a tweeter in there .. now my next question what is a good set of 6.5 speakers ? 2 way , 3 way, or 4 way  and what would be a good tweeter to go with ?

thanks qmw

qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

i forgot to ask i saw something about a 5.25 (5 1/4) speaker that fits my truck  where would it go . and what are the size of the tweeters and rear door speakers ?

thanks again lol qmw54

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Rear speakers should be a 4x6", front speakers should be a oversize 6.5" component set. Are you going to be using an amplifier on the speakers? What sort of budget? Components should have a amplifier on them to get them doing the job they were designed to do. 50w rms x 2 is a good start. Focal, Eclipse, MB Quart all make a good set of speakers.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

i plan to put a amp on them at a later time by that i mean when i save up after geting the speakers ... budget  i dont really know it depeneds on what i need to spend to get the sound i want . i was thinking about going with  pioneer to match my cd deck but i am not to sure on how good pioneer highs are ? i dont guess it to big of a deal to match the cd deck .

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

You don't have to match, but Pioneer Premier makes good stuff. The list of Focal, MB Quart, and Eclipse mentioned earlier is all great stuff. The one that was missed was Infinity (kappa series). Very great speaker at a good price.

More importantly, you mentioned getting the speakers before the amplifier. I would highly NOT recommend this. There is no point of buying nice component speakers and then not giving the power they desire. With no power, it doesn't matter how good of a speaker you get. It will still sound like crap with no power. Save up for the speakers and the amplifiers.

As for the speaker sizes, I don't know if that's quite correct. 4x6's in the rear!? That's a new one on me. I have 4x6's in my dashboard, but I never heard of them in the rear. That would be horrible to have that in the rear.... I'll check on this one.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
qmw54 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

ok will do on the amp idea .. one of my friend has all pioneer in his truck and he has a pioneer 760 4 chan. amp pushing two 6x9s and i think two 4x6s and it doesnt sound very good .. it distorts very quickly like the speaker cant take any bass at all . and then another one of my friends has the same setup but with out the amp and it sound better clear highs and has a pretty good amount of bass . possibly the pioneer cd deck is putting out enuff power ?? so i was goona see how it sounded before buying an amp but if you suggest a amp i will get one lol .

one more question how hard is it to install new front and back door speakers ?

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Those speakers sizes are correct. That sucks about the 4x6's in the rear! I wouldn't want them little things in the back, but that's just me... good surround sound I guess if you got a set that sounds decent.

A head unit will put out wattage, but not the kind of power a speaker will like. Forbidden was right, 50 watts rms is a good number to start at. Average for aftermarket decks is around half that. (25watts rms) IMO a deck is just not meant to take the place of an amplifier. I like some of the Premier decks and some speakers, but as far as anything else.....

You should get some good Eclipse speakers and hook up an Eclipse amplifier to them, and I guarantee you will not hear ANY distortion! (provided you hook them up and set everything up correctly) You may have to save a little longer than you like, but when you do finally hook them up, you will be happy you took the time to wait and get something quality.

As far as difficulty on installation goes, it can be quite difficult if you don't know what your doing, and very easy if you do know what your doing. LOL. I'm not sure of your experience.... 

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic