icon

Need advice on new project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
It's time for me to start a new project on my 97 ranger ext cab. I am looking for a setup that will be heard for blocks. I have looked into solo-barics, but don't much about them. I was thinking either two 12's or one 15. I just want something extremely loud. Also, i don't know much about sub placement in trucks. I'm more of a import car guy. If anyone has some advice to give, I would appreciate it. My budget is around 500-600. That is me needing sub(s), amp, and I could probably have an enclosure custom made for free... Any help would be appreciated thanks....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
How 'bout this for a start.  Spend half of that on damping, strip the cab and get all the prep work done.  By that time you'll have a bunch more money saved up.  But more on the serious side, the frequencies that can be heard the furthest are the very lowest, so look for a sub that can be ported at a tuning freq in the '20s or low '30s.  Use my WinISD guide to start learning how to use the program, and put a few prospects through the test.  That would probably be better for those vast distances you want to be heard than a mid-sub-freq SPL setup.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

Setup is key when it comes to stereo systems. I'll tell you right now that fitting two twelves or one fifteen is going to be quite a task in that truck. It can be done, but your definitely going to have to have custom enclosures. I would say stick with two tens, but two twelves could be done. (depending on their depth and airspace needed) Kicker is alright. I always recommend Orion. Very good subwoofers (the P series or H2 series) and some of the best amplifiers on the market. JL Audio is nice too, but I think Orion is just as good for a fraction of the cost. Two 12" Orion H2's or one 15" would be VERY loud, but good luck trying to get it to fit in that truck....

I could go on and on about many different brands that are great. In the end it is really all in your opinion. There are many brands and setups that can be heard for blocks. Choose the most reliable and inexpensive route.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic