icon

new alternator or extra battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elliotwutang 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

if i were to use just one amp do you think i would have to replace anything ?

sorry if i am being confusing. what should i do replace the battery the alt or both ?

if i were to replace my stock battery with say a "Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle 12 Volt Batterie" and add a 160A+ alternator would the problem be solved ?

--------------
95 Lebaron Gtc
Hifonics 1505d
2 Kicker 05 12" 4 Ohm
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Whats the CCA on a yellow top? Check the CCA on your stock battery and make sure its fine to use as a starting battery, otherwise replace it with a Red Top or buy a yellow top and an isolator, either way i'm sure the optima will have less resistance than the stock battery u have. Problem should be solved as long as your wiring is done correctly...what u want to do is lower the resistance to your amp as much as u can (crimp connections can add resistance if improperly done, rust will add resistance so make sure any connections are sealed with shrink tubing, dont use too small of wire...bigger is better).
replacing both the battery and the alternator is the ideal situation. U could probly run the 1000W off the stock alt with new battery...its been done before although quality of equipment also helps.
elliotwutang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
i think im going to replace the alt and throw a cap on both amps thanks for your time guys
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
No caps needed at all. A good battery + upgrade the BIG3 + read the grounding sticky is where you need to start. If you want to waste money, then go ahead and buy the caps and the alternator. Do not replace the alternator until you are 100% sure that you need to. At this point in time, you are not even close to knowing if you need to or not as you still have the upgrades to do that I just mentioned. If the power delivery system cannot keep up after you have done the upgrades, then do the alternator. Look for a good battery like Kinetik or Exide Orbital, as large as you can fit.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
elliotwutang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
word ? where can i buy one of those batteries online ? i am having a hard time finding the Kinetik battery you spoke of
elliotwutang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey placid warrior the cca of the stock battery is 410 and the yellow top is 500
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
kinetikaudio.com
direct site for kinetik. you can do a dealer search or contact diirect
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
alexmamus 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
if elliotwutang were to put in a new 160A alt, do the "BIG 3" and replace his stock battery with a good deep cycle battery like a optima yellow top dual purpose wouldnt he be good to go ? and is a "kinetic 600 or 800" better than an optima or they about the same ?
wu-tang 4 eva
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer the kinetik over the optima's anyday based on a size to size comparison phisically.   I have had nothing but good luck since I switched to them
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
elliotwutang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
would their be a problem using a yellow top ? would a yellow top, new alt, the big 3, and the grounding sticky be a good solution to the problem ?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic