icon

Alpine MRD F545 crossover or active?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willjohnson33 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing my first system ever and it I wanted to know if the crossover in the MRD F545 is good enough or if I should spend the cash to get an active crossover or processor instead.
My system is going in my 2005 Tundra Double Cab and is the following
Alpine CDA-9855 running to the
Alpine MRD F545 amp which will be bi-amped
to my Alpine Type-X components
I will also be running a SWX-1042D sub using the MRD-M1005 amp
I'm a total newbie just trying to learn as I go along. It seems as though I can use the amp as my crossover but I only want to do this once so if it is worth getting an active crossover or processor then i will do it.
Thanks
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
Didn't your Type X components come with a crossover?
willjohnson33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
sorry. yes they come with a crossover as well. So i am essentially trying to figure out how it works when you basically have 2 crossovers. I thought passive was bad and the crossover with the type-X speakers would be passive right? I am just trying to better understand what the optimal setup is.
Thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
The crossovers that come with the component speakers are passive, meaning that they do their job after amplification. Passive is not bad at all, it is there to do a job properly for the task at hand. The passive crossovers will have nothing to do with this issue at all. An active crossover means that it is splitting the signal before it hits the amplification stage. It is generally a much better crossover, more accurate and a steeper rolloff rate. I would not run out and buy a outboard crossover at this time. Use the one built into the amplifier and call it a day. It will be more than ample to do a godd job for you. No need for a processor at this time. If you want a suggestion that will make a difference, consider an Eclipse head unit over the Alpine.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
willjohnson33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the response, I appreciate the help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic