icon

How to make tweeter in pillar?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dabper 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
How to make tweeter in pillar? -- posted image.
I want to mount tweeter in a-pillar.
How to make fiberglass
hello evey body
younguru 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
very simple task......make a mdf ring or if u have a plastic insert that it came with......take ur a pillar off position ur ring where u want (use something to secure the ring dowel rod pieces of mdf) stretch fleece or a type of fabric over the entire a pillar apply resin might want to apply some fiberglass matt for extra strength........sand bondo sand paint or leather/vinyl it
alex
tbone31 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
after thats done is the panel no longer able to be returned to orignal?
younguru 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

no once u do that panel is done with.......now u can take a mold off the back of the panel and the front and sandwich them together and than do the tweeter but its up to u.......or u could just make a mold of the top of the piller and do ur tweeter and apply it over the original panel but ull still have to damage the panel some when u attach ur new panel to ur old

alex
tbone31 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
allright thanks, im just always trying to think ahead about what someone buying my truck down the road is gonna think. mind you those a pillar trim pieces probably arent too expensive to replace if need be.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

If the vehicle isnt too new, you can go to a salvage/parts yard and buy an expendable part (A-pillar in this case) for the said vehicle.  This way it doesnt matter what color it is you buy being your about to cut it up, cover it with fleece/bondo/texture and final finishing.  Just simply keep the original factory components just in case you sell the vehicle to someone too snooty and frowns at such upgrading of our preferences.

Also mentioned by YOUNGURU, was duplcating both sides of the A-pillar.  This interior component rarely supports any other objects (except the addition of a tweeter, seldom headliner).  I have often only duplicated the front of the component, not the back.  In addition, I would duplicate the mating surface, such as the cab metal/window/door areas that neighbor it when installed  This way you can construct an enclosure like component that is hollow and functional, which results in a rigid, thin, and strong structure that is empty, ready to add anything you want.  Furthermore, I have fabricated A-pillars like this, sometimes little purposely bulkier in certain areas to integrate an LCD, 4-1/2 inch speakers, switches, and the likes.  To deaden the part, just fill it with foam, expanding foam...be carefull though!!!  When applying the A-pillar by this method, keep it simple, double sided adhesive works great, or for a more precise adhesion, liquid nails...  

......anyone else?

placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
actually if your pillar is plastic u can heat up the area where u want the tweeter with a heat gun (not too hot though) and then use a socket the same size as the tweeter and work the plastic till u have a nice flat area for the tweeter to sit flush on, then cut the hole for the tweeter to fit snug into. The only thing u have to be careful for is that u dont heat it up too much, although i suppose if the texture gets screwed up u can just sand/highbuild primer/texture spray/paint.
younguru 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
i would take torqueheads advice go to a salvage yard and use that piece also thanks for the clarification torquehead thats actually what i meant just couldn't explain it will
alex
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Another simple way to do it without using resin and matting is liquid plastic.  I have done it this way numerous times.  If there is any room behing the piller, use a whole saw and cut the hole for the tweeter to sit in.  Try to get it as far into the pillar as possible.  Secure it with hot glue, mdf pieces, whatever you want.  Simply spread liquid plastic (sometimes called "rigid filler") around the gap of the tweeter mount/mdf ring and start "sculpting" the tweeter rise.  The liquid plastic dries very quickly and you can add about 3 layers until you get a uniform ridge.  Scuff the rest of the sail or a-piller, texture and die. 
davedyer79

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic