icon

How to get factory texture?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2006 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

I have an 4 door Extended cab GMC Sierra, and have a couple of Illusion 8" subs (if you aren't familiar with these they have the magnet on the front of the speaker and are only about 4" deep) that I want to fiberglass in to the rear door panels towards the bottom where the pockets are, but I want to make it look as factory as possible which means duplicating the factory texture on the FG portion.  Is there a product out there you can use to get this look, or do you guys have tricks/secrets to achieve it?  All the fiberglassing I've done I've either painted it, or wrapped it, but I think the most impressive installs are the ones that look like they were designed into the car from the factory (the stealth look), but I guess that's another topic for discussion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Also which products do you guys recomend for this, since I will be attaching to the plastic, fiberglass resin, or the Fusor product I've seen is some of the other posts?

torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

3M Texture Spray part number 9511 is what I get from an auto body supplier.  Its $11.50/can with my discount...I think its usually $14-$18/can normally.  Also available is SEM brand texture spray part number 39853/39863 which is the texture and adhesion promoter.

Check this out: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=47241&get=last

Also:

Or simply: http://www.3m.com/ and just get lost in the site.

And then theres: http://www.sem.ws/catalog.php

Hope this helps.

doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks I knew someone out there knew.  I tried to search before I posted, but I didn't find the one you attached, thanks again.
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey doibuy, I did this with my kick panels.  I bought the 3M medium texture spray (also called rocker panet spray).  I sprays out a clear type material.  I have done some other texture jobs in the past, but most were the small pebble texture.  I had some trouble duplicating the large texture of my 04 chevy silverado.  I found the best way to do it (for me, some other installers might think I am crazy) is to spray one layer of texture pretty heavy and then drag it VERY LIGHTLY with a course haired paint brush.  Dont drag it in one direction, just act like a drunk painter and wave it around in every directly.  Let that layer dry and spray another layer,  then do the same thing.  I put three layer on mine and lighly sanded with 100 grit paper, and it came out exceptionally well.  Most people think they are factory and ask what option that is from the factory.  I had to try 2 different times before I got the look I was looking for, but it was worth it.  Hope this helps.
davedyer79
x2jesse1x 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I am wanting to do the factory look to my fiberglass piller gauge pod for my impala when I am finished. The only thing that I am gonna have trouble with it actually getting it to look stock, The stock plastic in my impala isnt grainy it is more vinyl lookin, if u kno what I mean. it has little lines and such in it.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  Saturday after hours, one of our employees brought in his ride to complete some finishing touches.  He and a few other of us had a beer or two, I went to the office to final up some paper work.  About 4 hours went by and I heard a..."flambouyant commotion" out on the dock where he was working.  I made my way out there to check it out.  He had finished off the case of beer!!!!...as well as completing the finishing touches on his door panel/A-pillar/sail/enclosure fab.  He was trashed and his texture job was something resembling factory texture, top notch!  I think the next time I am doing a texture job.....I just may buy another case of my favourite house brew and.....

tool man 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
   I use a piece of vinyl . I spray it with turtle wax. Then I mix a batch of fiberglass with just a little hardner.  I coat the panel with the fiberglass and lay the vinyl upside doun on the piece. I let it cure and remove the vinyl. It will leave the pattern of the vinyl inprint .   Works Good....
Last words, Sure I can fix it...Won't take but just a sec.
bigfoot286 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
that sounds like a real good idea

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic