icon

headlights dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eljay8619 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

when i play my system at night my headlights dim for some reason....my car is a 1994 honda civic lx and my sytstem is composed of 750 watt sony explode and 2 12" pioneers.....i have been reading about alternators and capacitors...my alternator output is 60 amps.....is this suffient to cover my set? and could a capacitor and battery upgrade fix my probelm?

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
capacitors is more load for your alternator, check a good battery like an optima yellow top or kinetik battery and see what happen. and what's the ampere rating of your sony amp?
Xavier2k20 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 95 civic ex. I had a 500d memphis connected to my car. About 2-3 months after i  put my sounds in my alternator blew. I fixed the alt and bought a 1 farad cap and my lights still dimmed alittle but was still able to play my sounds for as long as i want. I suggest buy a cap for now if you want to save your alt. Buy a higher amped alternator later cause 60 amps is what i had on my last 2 cars and both blew alternators. I think that will run you like $150. And if you want to play your sounds when the car is off, buy a optima battery 

Xavier2k20
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

You are trying to draw more power from your alternator than it can produce in total. A capacitor will do nothing other than send power to the amp slightly faster "WHEN ITS CHARGED", but it wont be charged unless your alternator is able to provide enough power, so its basically just a large resistor in line in that scenario.  The alternator is what runs your electrical components and needs to be able to power everything otherwise you start drawing power from the battery. The battery is only designed to be in your car so you can start it and keep the clock going.  You need to get yourself a larger alternator in the 100 + amps range, it will cost you around $300, but very worth it.   Check out this guys auctions, he makes excellent alternators. 

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics/Warranty-Information.html

Also stop by your news stand and pick up this months issue of "Car Audio and Electronics" theres a great article on charging systems written by Derek Lee at Mobile Dynamics.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
eljay8619 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
yo thanks for the info....i think i'll just go with getting a more powerful alternator.....i must say u guys are very helpful...thanx again
eljay8619 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
ummm i got another question....what would be the right size alternator for my set.....its 750 watts?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go for something hot rated (not cold) at 100 amps or more.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic