icon

Sealed or ported box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsexer 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Hey folks, first post.  Hello to all.  I do not have any components yet, but I do plan on purchasing a single RF T112d2 sub, and an RF T15002  amp.  I plan on running it @ 4 ohms.   I might go with two T112d4 subs but who knows. I listen to metal, so I am unsure whether to go with a sealed or ported box.  Having a tight sound would be great, but every now and again setting off car alarms would be fun too.  Is there a clear cut line between going for SPL and a tight sound? 

I have been reading up on upgrading the power system, and have read the threads on upgrading "the big three", and replacing the stock alternator with a HO unit.   Got that covered.

I am installing this in a 01 Mazda extended cab pickup with an Alpine CDA 9856 head unit.  

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tim

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Well, in a truck running these subs in a ported box might lend itself to space constraints, most proper ported boxes seem to be on the large size.
Anyone know recommended box size here?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
RF recommends 1.25 cuft sealed or 2.25 cuft ported @ 40Hz.  You should model it up first to see what actually works best.  Looks like a high SPL sub with an fs of 31hz. 
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Just so you know what's up with this woofer and why I say it is an SPL driver (and not going to be very good for SQ in my opinion) here's the estimated response curve in the RF recommended enclosure of 2.25 cuft ported at 40Hz.  You can see the big booming spike at about 44Hz and some serious cone excursion issues below about 32Hz.  You will definitely need to use a subsonic filter set to about 35Hz to try and protect this driver.  It looks like a good SPL system, but I would hate living with this kind of response curve.

Sealed or ported box? -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

I had looked on the RF site and could not find that graph anywhere.  Anyhow, that spike(and what you said) makes me think that this sub would not be nice for an everyday driver vehicle unless I listen to bass test CD's all day!Sealed or ported box? -- posted image.  

So then that would lead me to ask what RF (can you tell I'm partial to em?) sub out there has a smoother output across the range, DVC, 500-600w RMS?  I guess there is the P312d2, but I cannot find the graph, so I have no idea what the output curve looks like. 

DYohn 
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Well, Rockford doesn't publish graphs like that, I created in using Unibox and the T/S specs they list for the woofer.  I agree with you, this sub looks like a possible SPL comp solution but not for everyday music.

Support the12volt.com
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
That T1 sub would be good if you wanted to listen to mass produced rap songs from MTV all day long and rattle your vehicle into pieces.
Is there a reason you're partial to RF? Because my suggestion would be to look elsewhere for your sub(s). If you could give us an idea of your goal (what you want your subs to do), how many drivers you want, a budget, and if you already have an amp or not, we could point you in the direction of some subs that'll be well suited for your needs.
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

boardinbum wrote:
That T1 sub would be good if you wanted to listen to mass produced rap songs from MTV all day long and rattle your vehicle into pieces.
Is there a reason you're partial to RF? Because my suggestion would be to look elsewhere for your sub(s). If you could give us an idea of your goal (what you want your subs to do), how many drivers you want, a budget, and if you already have an amp or not, we could point you in the direction of some subs that'll be well suited for your needs.

Partial to RF cause I always thought they were the baddest thing around since back in the day(93-94), and most of my friends wherever I happened to be(in the military) always had RF.  I want to run a 500w RMS sub(maybe 2) off of one mono amp @ 4 ohms.  I do not want to work the amp over gettin what I want, which is supporting the bottom end for listening to Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, 6 Feet Under.  Lots of double bass drumming.   I would rather have a larger amp turned down than crank a smaller one.  Thats why I was gonna go with the 15002.  Its rated for 1000w @ 4 ohms.  Budget?  Well, if I could get  one or 2 subs and an amp for $1,000 I would be happy.  If your suggestions are marginally more expensive, then I guess I have to save more money!  I would not mind getting another brand sub, but I am pretty much set on the RF amp.

gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Man, it does not take long for a thread to make it to the second page...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic