icon

bigger or smaller enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stripes26051 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
I am running 1 12 inch w7 i was wondering if a little bit smaller or a little bit larger box (sealed) would create more or less spl i built a box to the spec's but i think it came out a little smaller and i was basicly curious on the matter 
89 honda crx 1 15" Power HX2 jblbp1200.1 rockford coaxials 4 channel comin soon
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
A larger box would probly give u what u want. Typically a larger box will kick out lower bass than the smaller box....not sure on technicalities but thats pretty much what i've come across.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Larger box = lower bass response, yes.  More SPL, no, not that you would notice given what you said.  But you would probably have better SQ with the larger size given by the manufacturer.

With very LARGE differences in volume, say comparing 1.25 to 5 cu ft., the larger size will be more efficient and will make a noticeable difference in how the power is applied.  Or also in the case of small sealed vs. larger ported., the smaller sealed would need more power to achieve loudness and so can seem to be inefficient (not loud enough) if there isn't enough power available to give it what it wants.

Best thing for you to do is to pull out the woofer and fill the box with polyfil to create the impression of a larger volume.  You can cheat up 10-30% this way.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic