icon

99 civic karr alarm upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmendoza502 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

i have a karr alarm upgrade for the factory keyless entry for my 99 civic ex...

I wanted to install the remote start upgrade that my karr pamphlet says its upgradeable to...

i called karr, and and i called the local bay area honda dealerships that use karr alarms and they all gave me the run around as far as getting and installing the module ...

what are my options? can i just get a remote start module with this alarm and factory keyless entry? how would i install it? How can i safely uninstall this alarm? Cause if i cant upgrade it, then i plan on buying the Clifford matrix rs1.1 and how would i install that?

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
The run around you were given is typical. Most alarm manufacturers do not sell to the DIY person. If you do manage to purchase a non-DIY unit and put it in yourself then you will have no warranty from the manufacturer. There are a few systems out there that will warranty to the DIY, but Clifford is not one of them.
If you plan on doing a remote start, I would suggest purchasing a unit that has it's own remote controls. The factory remotes typically have poor range and most do not operate while the vehicle is running.
As far as how you would remove the karr system, it is pretty straight forward, just find the box, remove the harnesses and connections. If you were just going to remove it and not put anything else in it's place you would make sure that you insulate any and all connections that you removed. Since you are planning on installing another system, most if not all of the connections that were made when installing the karr system would be reused for the new system. You can find a wiring diagram for your car here. This will give you the color and location of the wires you will need to interface with the new system.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

what are my options? can i just get a remote start module with this alarm and factory keyless entry? how would i install it? How can i safely uninstall this alarm? Cause if i cant upgrade it, then i plan on buying the Clifford matrix rs1.1 and how would i install that?

This is why Karr didn't want to talk to you... Pay someone to do the install....that way youll get a warranty as well!

pmendoza502 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

actually what i called them for was to buy the remote start from them and have it installed, but they couldnt help me, the dealership said i need to call KARR so i called them, they said they only deal with dealers and its up to them to talk to the local install tech, so i call back the dealer and ask how much, they dont even know...

I was never ever planning on installing the upgrade myself

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
If you have a local installer/shop that you like/trust then just go to them and tell them what you would like to do. Most shops will not charge to remove the other system if you are paying for their system to be installed. If you were asking for an opinion on the Clifford systems, they are top-notch!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic