icon

caution, limewire and places to download

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cguys 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

just a heads up to those who dont know ( like me )   using lime wire ( cool site ) will also allow your files on your computer to be downloaded  by others .  ...i got curious and did a search for taxes on limewire under the document search .....i found peoples tax returns they did on their computers .     basicly this a share file site ....but all of your files are open to share with that site .....music and all .......i dont know shi* about the site as i just went there a few days ago ,  maybe for alot of people this is a given ,  but i think alot of people wont know this fact . 

anyone is free to post any knowlage here .       but just an idea for most people take anything that has sensitve info off your computer and store it on a disc .  

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Typically with all programs like this you set the shared directory. If you happen to have other files in that shared directory, then yes, they will be accessible to those using the same client.
caution, limewire and places to download -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
prophesybh 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

you can set limewire up to not share your files

Don't Ask Questions When You Already Know The Answer!!!
cguys 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
can anyone tell us how to set the files not to be shared ??  .,... i know when i signed up i selected no to scan my hard drive for files .  but i,m not sure if theres more to do .  for right now i,m just being on the safe side and making sure i dont have anything with my ss number on it and so on .  but its just a good heads up for everyone else that may not have any idea .  thanks everyone .
prophesybh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
on limewire.  goto tools, then options, goto uploads then to slots, set both of those at zero, now goto basics and set the upload bandwith to zero. next goto sharing and remove any shared folders.  This will make it so none of you files are shared
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I highly recommend putting the files you want to share in a folder and sharing only those files. That's usually how limewire is setup anyway unless you change the way it is setup when it is installed. Just think if everybody didn't share any files, there would be no files to download. By the way your SS# is public information that anybody can get if they want it I really wouldn't worry too much about this..
Mike
cguys 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
 your ss is NOT  public info .  it should be highly guarded .   if any askes for mine i have a number i have remembered that isnt mine that i give .  i dont want any of my numbers given out . 
jkirkku 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Quit using limewire, that's the fastest way to get rid of all the problems associated. Use bittorrents. I wont explain that much as there are a ton on the internet. Basically whole cds in under an hour(mine is usually 10-15 minutes) and you can get videos and stuff in alot faster time as well. I use torrentspy.com but there are many others.
Jared
prophesybh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Don't download whole videos and whole cd's.  Get a few songs or a preview.  If you own then movie or the cd then download it if not don't.  Every person that downloads full copys of anything is stealing money away from the artist and also stealing away from there album rank.  I know you'll probly say that the cost of cd's are so high, but you have to think about the percentage the artist get's and thats about 1-3% depending on the company there with.
jkirkku 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info, but if someone is talking about limewire then they probably arent talking about paying for music! You say download a few songs to "preview"? Isnt that steeling. You can buy single songs from itunes usually for $1. That way you can still "pay" the artist and not have to buy the whole cd. When did illegally downloading only part of a cd make it right but the whole cd wrong? That argument is retarded. I do understand your argument that purchasing cds helps artist and dling them free hurts them, but your part vs. whole argument is justicfication of your personal situation. So either quit downloading illegally altogether or quit bitching and get bittorrent.
Jared
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic