icon

Under volume on sub box, what would it do

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
88_red_dakota 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
ok so the subs recommend 1 cubic feet of room each and i have 2 of them. I have a box that is 1.4 cubic feet and the subs recommend 2 cubic feet. This would only be temporary when a new box of 2 cubic feet is being made for me.
Basically im asking to see what the negative effects of putting them in like this would be?
Also would it be better to seperate the air space or would that have any effect on it at all?
they are premier 10's ts-w105c subs and ill be pushing 400 rms to each, not bad for a regular cab dakota.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  

A smaller enclosure will raise the Qtc. causing a peakier response and less low end extention.  The subs will also be less efficient.  This may be an issue as many companies recommend too small an enclosure already.  But the only issue you will see is that you may not like the sound of the subs in that enclosure.

Seperating the subs is not needed.

88_red_dakota 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
so it wont ruin the subs or anything? thats all im wondering about. I understand that they wont sound as good as they are supposed to until i get the proper enclosure built.
What if i filled the box with those packing peanuts? i read somewhere this helps for under size and volume boxes, or is this a myth
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Don't use packing peanuts, use dacron polyfill.  Add about 1 pound per cuft, keeping it away from any port openings.
Support the12volt.com
88_red_dakota 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
will this help my airspace issue? and help the subs think they are in a bigger box?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well, subs don't "think" Under volume on sub box, what would it do -- posted image. but the enclosure will function about 25% to 30% larger than it is since the polyfill slows down the air movement inside. 
Support the12volt.com
88_red_dakota 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
ok can you point me in the direction of buying some of this stuff. so i need 1.4 lbs because the box is 1.4 cubic feet.
are there any online retailers that sell it?
what do they call it at craft stores?
DYohn 
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can buy it at fabric or sewing stores.  Ask for Dacron pillow stuffing, look for 16 ounce or higher weight.  Or, if you want to buy on line, Parts Express sells a high-end version specifically designed for speaker use.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Fabricland or Fanny's Fabrics will have this kind of stuff. Any arts and crafts type of store. Don't let your friends catch you going in there though......
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
88_red_dakota 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
How much lbs should i get to get the maximum performance out of the subs in this particular smaller enclosure?
Also is the high end stuff parts express sells worth the extra money or should i go to fabricland for some and what would be the difference in the effect it will have?
Say the enclosure will function 30% larger then it is, so it the 1.41 cubic feet it will "add" 0.423 cubic feet for a total of 1.833 cubic feet. I just want to get by from buying/building a bigger box until i got some extra coin.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic