icon

Noisy volume controller solutions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Installed a PAC (line-level) level controller as a volume control between an iPod & amps etc.  It's a very simple 6-terminal pot placed in-line betweeen RCA's, entirely passive.  Now I have a few problems.  I thought I had a bad unit, so I replaced it with another - same problems - -> 

1.  There's slight noise when adjusting the volume - kind of like the pot sliders moving across a dry or dirty resistor surface.  It's not a static-sounding noise, more like a "whirring," like wind thru an open window at 30 mph.  It's not loud, but audible (and irritating) at lower volumes.  Thinking of shooting some WD-40 in there, would that help?  Is it just a crappy pot?

2.  When the unit is cold, like first thing in the morning, vibrations & movement make loud shorting-out noises.  If I tap on the knob or the surfaces around it I get spikes sent to the amps.  Same result if I try to jiggle the knob.  This will go away in a couple minutes of playing time, as if it "warmed up."  The problem goes away if I remove the unit from it's mounting location in the console.  No, it doesn't touch anything else in it's mounted spot.  Seems to have something to do with the pot knob sleeve being in the center console & secured with the supplied nut, or maybe that's just where the vibrations are being transferred into it??

I'm stumped on this, and as usual PAC's customer support is taking forever to get back to me.  Ideas?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

DON'T use WD-40!  That will short it out completely.  If you want to try and clean it up, get some contact cleaner from an electronics supply store.

It's possible the model you purchased is simply not intended for use like you are using it.  Which model PAC did you purchase?

Support the12volt.com
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

It's a PAC LC-1 (the line-level one)

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Amplifier%20Level%20Controllers 

Definitely using it as intended, altho I've removed it from the housing.

If I use contact cleaner I'll have to pull the pot apart, no?  I'm not sure I can reassemble it w/o damaging it - how hard is that?  What about greasing the contacts to make them smoother?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Assuming you are using a line-level signal out of your iPod and not the headphone driver, the LC-1 should work.  No, don't use grease or any other lubricant.  It's an electronic device, not mechanical!  Also, if you took it out of its case, you may have disrupted the ground plane and that's why it's noisy, as well as why it's doing the other strange behavior.
Support the12volt.com
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Case was entirely plastic, so I doubt that's it.  I'll wait for PAC's input & see if they have any answers.  I think it may be a cheap pot they use.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Put your hands up and step away from the WD-40. WD-40 is a Water Displacement agent. The 40th version. Not a lubricant or cleaner.

Did you see any model #s on the pot. Maybe there is a higher quality replacement.

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

UPDATE - enlarged the mounting hole, it was a little tight.  Solved the shorting-out sound problem.  Maybe pinching/bending the pot knob?  Anyway, throw that one in your bag of tricks.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic