icon

dashboard painting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unreality 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, there was a post a while ago, I've quoted the first post at the bottom, it states a primer mix can be used on dashes, could a regular spray-can primer work to the same purpose? What kinds would be reccomended? and help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

Craig McKee

Quote follows:

"I have done some searching and have found alot of people fiberglass their dashboards just to have a shiny look, and not actually manipulate it in any way. I have found one way to get the same result as FG without the hassles is to take a little dupont urethane primer, mix it with a little flex additive and spray liberally once the surface is prepped properly. This mixture provides a high build filler, taking out the texture in most dashes, and can be wet sanded and before final paint application to look like glass. I have found this is alot less time consuming than the fg application and wont give you the cheesy result of just painting the stock pieces. Hope this helps some of you."

mr.audiophile 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, some fiber glass to smooth it. Some dashes just have a rubberized coating which you can sand off until its smooth. I forget the name of it, but there is canned primers you can buy for plastics.
Checkout my self installed system. Just click on my homepage.
mr.audiophile 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

Ok found it. Its for model cars and other plastics. It's called Tamiya. You can probely find it at a near by hobby shop.

Checkout my self installed system. Just click on my homepage.
unreality 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

well, I couldn't find that specific primer, so I bought a can of scratch filler/primer at Canadian Tire, and took a small piece of the dash to try this out. evidently it'll need about 5 billion coats before it's any semblance of smooth, although I may be going about it using the wrong method [get the piece, clean it, prime, wait to dry, prime again, do that a few times, lightly sand, prime and dry, etc]   I've decided to bondo the dash, if I have read enough, the following process should work, if anyone sees something wrong, please let me know

sand with 120 grit to get a bit of roguhness, and then go nuts with a heavy grit to scratch the heck out of it, dust to get rid of, well, dust, then bondo, sand, bondo, sand, primer, sand, repeate untill done. I'm assuming I should use Bondo-Glas, although someones opinio of using regular Bond body filler would be appreciated. As well to see if I have the right idea for bondoing the dash.

Thanks for any and all help!

Craig McKee

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
don't use bondo brand anything.  It's all crap. 
paintguy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2006 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
What type of plastic is it? Hard, soft?
Since you're up for a LOT of sanding, why don't you just sand the texture out of the plastic so it only requires a little primer, rather than trying to cover over it with filler or primer?
It'll probably take the same amount of time, but cost you less as you'll not need layer after layer of products. Much less likely to shrink/crack/peel too.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest snding it as smooth as possible.... 320grit smooth. To get any actual filler or paint material to stick to this surface once sanded, you will need some form of adhesion promoter. Notice I did not say primer. Most dashes are made out of some form of TPE or PPE based plastic (Polypropolene). It is a rather slippery type of plastic that responds well to temperature variences that are found in vehicles without cracking/discoloring/breaking down.
We use a spraycan product from a company called "car Groom" that is a plastic adhesion promoter for this type of plastic. Once the plastic is cleaned very well with gunwash to remove all greases/oils/armorall, a couple coats of this goes on. You can then fill right on top (if it needs filling.... obviously, it needs to be roughed up) If the part is just getting painted, then it gets the promoter, then a primer coat or two, then, final paint. Works very well, the only thing that it diesn't get along with is expoxy.
Give this stuff a try..... it works.
USC/Motron TPO Adhesion Stuff
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic