icon

Mixed voltage systems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bones977 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

So I was all excited I picked up a Cliff Designs Cap10 for like $110  I was thinking 10 Farads of capacitance would solve most of my problems.  I was wrong.  In reading the install instructions It turns out this is a 24Volt  capacitor.  Is there any way this could be incorerated into a 12 volt system,  I already have a second battery for the sterao so I could easily change the circut from parralel to series to generate the 24 Volts but I don't want to fry my 12 V Amps.   

Any advice youd be greatly appreciated since I cannot seem to find anything I understand online.

Thanks Steve

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
24 volts is the max rating on the cap.  It will charge to whatever the normal output from your alternator is and discharge to equalize with your battery just like any cap.  You do not need a "multiple voltage system."  Be sure to use a charging resister when you hook that thing up, and do not be surprised if it makes your charging system problems worse instead of better as it will place a huge load on your alternator.
Support the12volt.com
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
a capacitor will only charge to the peak voltage of the electrical system. which for a 12-14 volt electrical system will be around 14 volts. a capacitors voltage rating should be apx. doubled for a safety factor. a 24v capacitor is the correct rating for a 12-14 volt electrical system. now i want to know why the heck your using a 10 farad cap? to solve what problems? your alternator is what supplies the vehicle with power while the engine is running.
bones977 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

Well

It's a 200 Grand Am with the I4, I have upped the alternator to the 160 Amp from the late 90 Grand Prix (with some modding) I have a pair of Optima Red Tops. I am running a Sony mp70 deck and subbing a pair of MTX 1695 Mono Ds to a pair of AudioBahn AL10s  I also have a 1000W American Bass 15 that I am running from a JL 10001 I have two Stinger 1 F Caps but its just not enough

I Have  already rewired my headlights to a direct  ling relayed with 14 Gauge wire and they still dim. 

So I figured since the Cap bank Especially at the price I paid would be a great addition.

and then I can work on the trunk presentation.  Cause now its a rats nest of wire and sawdust.  Its Kinda neat how much 3/4 in MDF whistles when there is an air leak.

Anyways, Thanks for the advice and reassurances I am not going to blow up anything but my hearing.

Cheers Steve

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic