icon

Power Invertor Toggle Switch to Always On

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t0mmyr 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  

i just got some new electroluminescent dash gauges for my car, installed them and ran ground to ground, and it's positive wire from it's small power inverter to my +12v parking light wire, hoping i could short the on/off switch controlling the lights but upon installing it and testing it i discovered the switch's wire i wanted to short need to be toggled on or off with a button.  i want to get my dash lights to turn automatically whenever i have my parking lights or headlights on, i don't want to have to put a toggle button everytime my automatic headlights come on

these are the gauges i installed

http://elgauges.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

There's not enough info to give expert advise. For example, do these things dim? If so how?

Logically, if you bypass the switch and hook the power wires to ground and a non-dimming positive parking wire then it should work as per OEM but without dimming. Use non-dimming parklight circuit in car or you can damage the OEM dimmer.

Without a schematic of the indiglow's circuitry it's the best advise I can give.

I noticed they had a contact e-mail if you need info.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
t0mmyr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

they do not dim, they are either on or off.

i tried bypassing the switch and hooked the power to non-dimming positive parking wire hoping it would work oem, but they wont come on until they have power and then you have to push on when the switch is plugged in, the kit didnt come with any schematics or instructions, only the link i posted, i emailed them but no reply as of yet

Big Dog 
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Is this a momentary push button?
t0mmyr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

yes it is a momentary push button, and i just got this email back from their support email

""""

Hi,

Unfortunately no, these gauges were designed to be used with the provide on/off switch.
Thanks. """

t0mmyr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

you know, i was wondering if there was to a way to make my Viper 791xv alarm send a pulse to the on/off wire once the car turns on so the dash light comes on whenever i start the car

Big Dog 
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

OK We're getting somewhere.

If you want to go the 791 route then, the 791 has a disarm wire (GREEN/ black) which is pulse before crank.

Better still, if your 791 was made before dec 2005 then you can use the blue/white defroster output which is in the same harness as the tach input. This will send a 200mA pulse 10 seconds after remote start. 791's built after Dec 05 have built-in thermisters and will not send a signal when it's warmer.

It will be up to you to see what polarity and current draw is on that momentary switch.

You can also build a "constant to momentary" relay circuit connected to the parklight circuit which would pulse when you turn on the lights.

See here :        

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp

t0mmyr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  

I like the 2nd and 3rd option.

but if I go the 2nd option route what happens if i just turn the car on with the key and my lights turn on but my 791xv won't pulse it automatically. my alarm was built be4 then and i have that wire available.

the constant to momentary 12+V relay looks really confusing to make, Do I put a diode between 86 and 85? and do I wire my +12v parking light to 87 and 86 both fused, then 30 to my EL light switch (I don't know which one is +12 or if its a single wire).......but what i don't know is what 85 connects to????.....it looks like i goes direct ground and a 10K fixed resistor???i dont know which resistor this is or how to wire it, and what is a 1K uF capacitor, does that have to go into the relay system too????

I am programming my 2nd remote to my 791xv tomorrow and also installed my freshly programmed transponder key into my new 555U to allow remote start to work, so I may get used to starting my car again with remote start all the time, I may try Option 2.  Do I just connect my blue/white defroster output to the wire for my dash light switch?

Big Dog 
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

For the momentary relay setup:

Connect the EL exactly as demanded as per instructions then add the relay circuit:

pin 86 = positive parklight circuit

pin 30 = one side of your EL's momentary switch

pin 87 = the other side of your EL's momentary switch (shown as 12v fused on relay diagram-ignore this)

pin 87a = not connected to anything

If there is no diode built into the relay nor soldered to the pins then YES by all means put a diode observing polarity.  Purchase a relay harness and connect diode and other componants listed below to wire harness as close as possible to relay socket. Plug relay into harness after all connections are done.

1Kf = 1000 microfarad 16 VDC polarized capacitor . Connect the Negative of the capacitor to ground. Positive of capacitor to pin 85.

10K = 10 kilo-ohm resistor 1/4 watt. One end to ground, the other to pin 85.

Radio Shack or any electronic store has parts and can help you out.  Bring diagram with you and show 'em.

t0mmyr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
yup that relay looks confusing as hell to wire, i ended up wiring up my blue/white wire to both my toggle wires and now when its nighttime and i use remote start the dash lights come on automatically, the only problem is that if i turn the car on with the key they wont turn on automatically (although on one try i turned the car on with the key and they came on 10 seconds after but i can't get it to do that anymore) and now i don't have a manual switch to turn the lights on....any suggestion other than relay?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic