Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
im metering mine tomarrow, hoping for low 150s
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
150 is a huge # to do on a term-lab meter.    many classes were won at world finals in USaci and Db drag by low to mid 150's   
The only true comp meters are the Term-lab and audiocontrol 190.   any other meter will be as far as
7-14 decibles off.
I know of 3 shops in the area who use a very very old meter to try and impress there customers with metering on this old meter. All it does is mis-lead people to think they are doing much biggr #'s..then time comes along when they make it to a sanctioned show, and they are wized that they did a 130.
some of the employee's even go to the reaches of saying they do over 150-160db...and will show them on this old decrepid meter, but when they come to a real show, which they have often they have ran thru the lanes then left right after to avoid the mockery of the customers that just spent money at thier shops.
I hope you do well and I am in no way trying to say that 150db is not possible, I have found ways to achieve it in 3 diffrent cars now using a very minimal setup...$2000 or less in each one
what vehicle, and type of setup do you have?   I have seen alot of cars and alot of equipment and might be able to provide some tips.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
really? hmm
i have had my one 12W7 and JBL 1200.1 mic'd on a Term-Lab (Sam Horn) mic @ 139.9 dB in a Sanctioned dB Drag comp.
then in USACI outlaw it put down 142.8 mic'd in the trunk.
i think 1 W7 is capable of putting down some #'s
all this was in a SATURN (plastic panels FLEX quite easily)
still that install with the sub right next to driver has gotta sound like poo poo. either way.. still a great driver In My Limited Experience
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
So if peole had the choice here a W7 or the pioneer comp subs (the 12" ones)? I've heard the 12W7 but not the pioneer, heard those put off some serious bass though. Probably gonna be my next system (depends upon what kinda reviews i see and which ones i hear)
saturnsubohio 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
to be quite honest. i think you should think about how much $$$ you want to spend and what you are trying to achieve.
if you want obscenely loud both systems will do that but at what price?
also what type of enclosure would you want to build and how much space can you sacrifice to do it?
just something to think about.
I Love my W7 but i think now (that i've learned alot) that there are better choices in the world once you learn to properly design a simple subwoofer/amp combination
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
saturnsubohio wrote:
really? hmm
i have had my one 12W7 and JBL 1200.1 mic'd on a Term-Lab (Sam Horn) mic @ 139.9 dB in a Sanctioned dB Drag comp.
then in USACI outlaw it put down 142.8 mic'd in the trunk.
i think 1 W7 is capable of putting down some #'s
all this was in a SATURN (plastic panels FLEX quite easily)
What do the plastic panels have to do with anything as far as SPL testing goes.....I for one have not found any downfall to the panels flexing. We have been using a 98 honda civic coupe for our last few shows. 153.1db so far. Usaci-Outlaw....the car drops 2.4 going to legal position.
I doubt that car will see anymore use, as I will be picking up our newer CRX in about a week.
The Driver is a great driver for SQ, for for SPL use it would get stomped on by alot of "inferior" products
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
saturnsubohio 
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
saturnsubohio wrote:
I Love my W7 but i think now (that i've learned alot) that there are better choices in the world once you learn to properly design a simple subwoofer/amp combination
yeah i know i said that in the response right above yours. i realize that it would get stomped in Pure SPL application the same as a bunch of other's could stomp it in SQ.. which is why i referenced the installation as being a key element.
plastic panels expand alot more than regular metal door's this is just a fact of the material... so the sound PRESSURE level will be lower.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic