Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  

a box for 2 15's 

is 35hz a suitable frequency

chrome...its whats for dinner
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
The correct port frequency depends on the speakers you use.  What are they?
Support the12volt.com
05colorado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

rockford fosgate  HX2 15's (RFD1215)

RF reccomends the tuning frequency be 35hz

boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
How big do you plan on making your box? You'll probably want to tune it lower for those subs.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
OK.... so if RF says 35 Hz, then that is probably good, huh?  I believe they also recomend 2.5cuft per speaker, right?  So do that and you will be right in line with the manufacturer's recommendations.  That's why user's manuals exist.
Support the12volt.com
05colorado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
OK.... so if RF says 35 Hz, then that is probably good, huh?  I believe they also recomend 2.5cuft per speaker, right?  So do that and you will be right in line with the manufacturer's recommendations.  That's why user's manuals exist.

everytime i look at their info  i always think: that dosent look right from air space to port size and length. ive even been asking their 1 on 1 tech question thing. i gave them my dimensions & they said with a box  this size:

50"w x 17"h x 15"d  (external dimensions) and 2   RFD1215  15's they reccomended 2      6" x 18"L port

thats to 35hz

i have the box cut out now, no ports are cut yet so i gotta figure this out

DYohn 
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Assuming you use 3/4" MDF and accounting for about .5cu ft driver displacement, I get 2X 6" round ports @ 18.25" long = 35Hz tuning.  Why are you questioning the manufacturer?  If that's what they say is correct, go for it.
Support the12volt.com
05colorado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Assuming you use 3/4" MDF and accounting for about .5cu ft driver displacement, I get 2X 6" round ports @ 18.25" long = 35Hz tuning.  Why are you questioning the manufacturer?  If that's what they say is correct, go for it.

i dont mean 2 be a pain, i'm just paranoid. this is the 1st vented box ive ever built. i'm used to sealed enclosures

can i get 6" plumbing tube from home depot

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

Take the extra steps to be sure of yourself.  Model it in a box-building program.  Read my guide on using WinISD in the stickies.

Otherwise, you'll just remain in doubt.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
05colorado 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
i'm using bass box pro and it says the same thing, I just cant get over the 6" port size. is there an alternative?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic