icon

Connect 3 Subwoofers to a 2 Channel Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigwest4085 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Hi i have 3 subwoofers, and a 2 channel amp....is there any way possible that I can connect all 3 subwoofers at the same time to the 2 channel amp? if it helps here are the subwoofers and amp i have...
(2) http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-gtAMLOVQ5yH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=158XSL103
(1) http://www.cardomain.com/item/POWMOFO15
(Amp)  http://www.cardomain.com/item/POWTS19202
thank you..
dan.murray 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

You most defianatley cannot connect these three sub to that amplifier, or any 2 channel amplifier for that matter. In total between those three subs you have four voice coils all totaling an impeadence of 0.66667 ohms your amp is only stable at 2ohms bridged. However, you could run the two 12" sony's through one channel and the 2 voice coils of the 15" in the other and they would work, but would give a lousy power output as they are not bridged and not recieving enough power individually.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Actually you can wire these 3 subs to this amp provided that the amp sees a 4 ohm load from all speakers. As you have two single voice coil 10's at 4 ohms and a 15" with dual 2 ohm coils, this is possible. Your amplifier has a mode called tri-mode which allows you to wire 3 speakers to it IF the load is 4 ohms or greater on all channels. Hook the two 10's up to the stereo channels of the amp. Next wire the dual 2 ohm coils of the 15" driver in series, this makes it a 4 ohm load. Connect the 15" to the bridged outputs of the amplifier.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bigwest4085 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thank you....connect the 15" to one channel....ok how would i connect the 2 sonys to one channel when they each have there own coils???
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, did not catch my own mistake. You connect each 10" to each channel of the amp. So this means that you are in effect running the 10's in stereo. Next wire the sub to the bridged terminals of the amp.
bigwest4085 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
What is the Bridged Terminals?? So connect each sony to each channel,,and connect the 15" to the Bridged thing?
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
The bridged terminal is the positive terminal on the left channel and the negative terminal on the right channel. Just make sure that you connect a positive and a negative of opposite coils on the 15", then take the two remaining terminals and connect them to the bridged channel.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
forbidden 
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Wire the 15" sub according to this diagram. This is a series circuit.

Option 2 (series) = 4 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono
Connect 3 Subwoofers to a 2 Channel Amp -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic