icon

woofers in wrong size box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zaxbys 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
ok guys i was wondering if u dont have your speakers in the correct box can u blow them?someone told me if i didnt get the correct box i would over heat my voice coils?
new to car audio
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Having a woofer in the wrong box is indeed a bad thing. What most people do is try and compensate by trying to make the sub or amp do something it was not designed to in order to compensate. This results in poor speaker performance and in most cases damage to the speaker. Good bass response is all about the box. It is more important that your choice or subwoofer itself. There are many many ways to blow up a speaker, improper box is but one of these ways. I should note that it is not the cause of the failure, but in this case it would be the major contributing factor. If the sub can dissipate the heat generated in the voice coil, even an improper box is going to work. It might sound like arse is the worst case scenario here. If the sub cannot dissipate the heat generated in the voice coil, well, bad things are going to happen.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
Yes as For said box is a massive part of a good system. Having a box too big and the sub acts as if it's in "free-air" and will not have any resistance when it vibrates, letting it move too far in one direction or the other. Small box will not let it move as much and proved too much resistance possibly overworking the sub and thus frying it
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

Depends on whether you're referring to sealed or vented...

A sealed box, given the size limitations associated with car audio, is a very forgiving beast.  The differences in sound with the various air volumes will show itself in the frequency response, and to some degree, the power handling capacity of the woofer.  Even at very large sizes (considering it's in a car, how big can you get?), the sealed box will exert a certain amount of control over the driver.  If your woofer is destroyed in a sealed box, look to other associated problems with the setup, not the box itself.

A vented box size vs. port size vs. power applied to the woofer is all very critical.  At below tuning frequency of the box, the woofer has no controls imposed by the enclosure.  A large amount of power applied at these lower frequencies can destroy the woofer through over-excursion.  Read kfr01's addendum to the WinISD guide stickied above.  He does a good job explaining this.

Overheated voice coils are associated with an applied clipped signal or too much power.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic