icon

Remote Start From the Driver's Seat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daveward 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
For added convenience, I want the functionality of remote start but I want to use it only when I am sitting in the driver's seat. I do not want alarms, keyless entry or any other bells or whistles.
I want to be keyless...so... as soon as I press the "start" button on the "remote" transmitter, the car will start and I can drive away without any other steps on my part (meaning the ignition will already be "on", the car running, and off I can go).
Is this doable? Thanks.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Nice to know Vehicle Year, Make & Model?   Auto or manual?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
whats the vehicle
is it just a push button start that you want
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
You won't be able to drive a car without a key, as the steering wheel will be locked.  If you want to somehow 'remove' the steering lock, then, yes it could be done, if you could find a R/S unit that will never shut down.  All of the ones I've seen will run for a max. time of 24 minutes.  I do not know how you would get around this.  Another option would be toggle switches for acc. and ign. and then a push button to start, but you have the locked steering to contend with in either case. And if the car has a PATS or other immobiliser, you'll need to bypass that as well.
Keith
daveward 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
My car is a 1985 Mercedes 500SEC, auto trans, power windows; and, the two doors (and trunk) opened by vacuum/electric combo when the driver's door is unlocked with the key. The car has no security add-ons at the moment.
I would like remote lock/unlock, but my first priority is keyless start from the driver's seat. This is it: Imagine having no ignition switch/key assembly in the dash at all and being able to start the car sitting in the drivers seat with the push button remote. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Dave
daveward 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
About the steering wheel lock, I have already disabled it. And the car is old enough to have virtually no other security features. Thanks.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
You need some kind of sensor that knows that you are in the car seat or just in the car then with relays click on the IGN/ACC wires. Then with the remote be able to push the button and start it.
So think about a good way to put a sensor in the car
May want to try a alarm Prox sensor set at High for inside the car. These have a -trigger that may activate relays to turn on the IGN & ACC wires then all you need is to push the remote to start the starter.
Now this is just a thought in the minute that i read this so you may want to think this out more and i will do the same its kinda cool
Just also thought of somthing!!!!
I have a keyless mod that unlocks the doors as you walk up to the car without pushing anything. So this could activate the IGN and ACC wires then put a button in the car to start it.
Hope this helps. I just thought of these things just now.   -mike
daveward 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Mike,
I'm very happy there seems to be a way to do this...now all I have to do is work out a few "kinks".
Make sure I understand why there needs to be a sensor. As I was reading, I first assumed it was to override the remote starter "feature" that only allows the car to run unattended for so many minutes. Then I realized its quite a good safety suggestion. Wouldn't want to press the button my mistake and see my car drive off down the road by itself! Thanks for the suggestion!
By the way, could the signal that turns off my seatbelt warning (when I buckle up) be that sensor you're talking about?
And as for unlocking the doors, the Mercedes door unlock mechanisms are powered by vacuum but I believe there is wiring that tells the passenger door vaccum and the trunk vaccum to initiate when the key has opened the drivers door outside lock. Could your "mod" account for all that?
Thanks again ,
Dave
Nate_Dogg 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Worry about kids jumping in and starting your car...
or anybody for that matter....
Chrysler Tech.
Clarion dealer
Black Widow,Ungo alarms.
General electrical
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
This might be less elegant than a remote control, but here would be my idea:
--Purchase these three small switches. Two ordinary on/off switches, and one momentary switch.
--Using heavy wire, or preferably relays, wire the switches so that they do this:
=momentary switch activates the starter
=first on/off switch activates ALL of the ignition and accessory circuits
=second momentary switch activates the accessory circuit only, for playing the radio with the engine off.
--------------------
So, when you enter the car, just turn one switch on, and hold the momentary one until the engine starts......... still requires a little interacion on your part, but a little more fun than turning the key.
You could get pretty much any type of switches you want, and mount them wherever is convenient----maybe near the gearshift?
Also, you could get yet another switch, and install it in a hidden location------when you turn the hidden switch off, the other switches won't work, and the car can only be started with the key.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic