icon

highest output non HID headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radioflyer 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

i'm looking to upgrade my headlights (9005 ad 9006) I'm trying to find the highest output (lumens) headlights for my vehicle without goign to HID. I'm using a custom made Relay setup for my headlights (two 30 amp relays for high and low beams respectivly)

any thoughts....links and pics are awesome

thanks

you can never have too much of a good thing
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
HID is only a good upgrade if you get complete lamp assemblies. The retrofits are generally illegal regardless of where you are
The next best upgrade would be an e-code conversion. If there is an overseas version of your car, your local dealer may be able to get the assemblies for you, as the makers don't send over the crappy lights we have. This may be parts intensive, on my Suburban almost the entire nose would have needed replacement.
I do not recommend is stupid blue bulbs. Less light is emitted to the road and the glare increases for oncoming traffic. this is why they appear brighter.
I also recommend against over-wattage bulbs. The heat they dissipate may melt your lamp assembly.
You may want to look at the HIR bulbs that have come out in the last few years. IMHO, they are the next step in halogen technology. I have seen reports of much higher output from the lamps. They are not a true direct replacement for the 9005/9006 bulbs, they need a little filing on the base. The numbers on these bulbs are 9011 and 9012. The dealers (such as Dodge & Nissan) are charging 100+ each, but they have been seen elsewhere for under 30. I have not heard/seen a good/bad report on these yet, so its up to you.
Upgrading your wiring to run the headlights off of relays is an important step. Make sure you use larger wiring (12 or 14 guage) from the battery to the relays and to the headlights to maximize output.
Different gas combinations in halogen lamps will increase output. The list below is from cheapest to brightest.
Bromine
Argon
Krypton
Xenon
radioflyer 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 97 silverado pickup. I'm interested in the HIR lights you spoke of...where can i find more information?
you can never have too much of a good thing
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
I am still doing research on them, and waiting for information from credible sources before I pass judgement.
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the scoop:
The 9011 & 9012 lamps are available from Daniel Stern. Contact him as he has some of the best information out there.
Highights on these bulbs:
GE- started with them in the late 90s, and stopped production a few years ago. The issue with the GE lamps was of poor design- the 'package' they chose did not deal well with road vibrations and the lamps broke.
IPF- these bulbs appear to be of the same poor design as the GE units, possible that they purchased the tooling from GE.
Phillips- the bulb they are selling is a replacement bulb, and not an actual HIR light. They are using overdriven 9005 guts, which leads to a shortened life span.
Toshiba- They are currently the only OEM approved manufacturer of these lamps. These bulbs are of a different design than the GE/IPF units, and are nor susceptible to the flaws of the GE design. They are available at the site mentioned above; or at the local dealership, if you want to pay a premium amount.
There are several Asian knock offs available, and these are worth nothing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic