icon

Confused with relay harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scourking 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I order some relays and I recieved them with harness for them. I thought I understood what I needed to do until I looked at how the harness are wired. Terminal 87 is empty but I can add for it. 87a has a large wire no problem there. 86 has a small wire and a diode that runs to terminal 85 (why I dont know). 30 has a large wire (not a problem). Here's The kicker for me 85 has a small wire thats an inch long and runs a loop and into 30. I am a newbie at this. If they all had straight out wires I think I know what to do. What is this configured to do I didnt see a diagram like this is wired.
scourking 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
The more I look the more confused I am. If I have 5 wires running out of a relay one for each terminal. Here is what I want. I want to hit my switch (hot all time constant when on) i want the relay to take one wire and break its connection. Like cutting the wire in half in half. I think I would run my switch to terminal 85 and the wire to get cut in half to teminal 30 and 87a. That means that when my switch is off the wire #30 is allowed to pass + or - thru to pole 87a. If the switch is on then #30 would then connect to #87 which runs to nothing thus makeing the wire like it was cut in half. But what does termianl 86 go too. I sse in the basic setup that 85 and 86 are the coil. does that mean that I need to ground 86 or does that mean I can run 86 on to another item and get power out of the switch kinda like a daisy chain for the switch.
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

The diode connecting terminals 85 and 86 is to quench any inductive electrical spike that would occur as the relay turns off or the magnetic field collapses between these two terminals.  The relay harnesses you received must be wired specifically for a certain application and not general use, since 85 is looped and connected to terminal 30.

If the switch you want to activate the relay with supplies +12v to the relay, then it needs to be connected to terminal 86, terminal 85 would then need to be connected to a ground source.  For your intended use, you would have to cut or disconnect the loop joining terminal 85 and terminal 30 and ground terminal 85.  Connect terminal 30 and 87a to the source you want to disconnect, as you previously stated, so when you activate your switch, it sends +12v to the relay terminal 86, thereby switching terminal 30 connection to 87, cutting your output circuit.

doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Let me give it to you as simple as I can.  First off the relays you got sound like starter kill relays, but that isn't really important for what you are trying to do.  Terminals 85 & 86 are what trigger the relay, one needs to see ground, the other 12V, in all reality it doesn't matter which is which, but if you use the harness with the diode you should hook it up according to how it is wired.  I normally use 85 for ground, and 86 for 12V.  I always use 30 for my output (although others may disagree), Then 87a will rest with 30 and 87 will connect to 30 once the relay is triggered.  I'm not sure if I followed your decription but this is the way I would hook it up...86 to 12V, 85 to your switch where the other side of the switch is grounded, 87 will be hooked to nothing, the wire you are trying to interupt one side will go to 87a and the other to 30.  Like I said before I use 30 for my out put.  I hope this helps.
scourking 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
Thx so much for your help. I finally got a schematic off the car club web site that I can understand and with your help I have now figured out how to do it with the manual switch instead of a thermo switch.. Again thx for your time and anwsers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic