icon

Sub Size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swede 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently using a single Boston Pro 12.5 in the spare tire well of my wagon. I didn't vent the "cover" from the sub box to the cabin. The box is a well sealed .98 enclosure and I'm running a Harmon Kardon amp mono at 350-400w. The rest of my speakers consist of Boston 6.53's and NX-57's (for imaging). All speakers are being fed a healthy 125w.
First of all, my sub amp isn't even peaked - my guess is I'm at 70-80% at what I could have it set at. On a scale of 1-10, I am consistantly at a 4-5 on the sub control volume and its more than plenty of bass.
I would love more space in the wheel well for storage and am considering a Boston Pro 10" which requires a box half the size of my current one. Do you think that would suffice considering the current "peak" usage of the 12.5?   Just wondering what kind of a drop off a 10" would be from a 12"? These Bostons are incredibly efficient, IMO.
Might be a stupid question.
Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
Would be able to provide a link to your sub's spec sheet?
Do you have a local dealer that carries these subs so you could go hear and compare them for yourself? I'd imagine you could swap that out for a 10 and still not feel as though your lacking in the bass department. But my question is, would it really be worth buying a whole new sub for 0.5 ft^3?
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I can sell the current box and sub no problem. And believe it or not, that .5 is the difference between me putting things that originally went in that space AND having the sub. Many of the local shops told me that 15-30% of factory recommended enclosure volume is "close enough". I wanted it as close to the specs as possible and by doing so had to move other items (tire jack, etc) out of that area. If I took the current box to 70% of its size everything would fit too. Its that close.
I personally don't think it would make a difference sound-wise, since I'm not even using half the one I have. I just think I can have my system AND have everything stored and hidden as it was.
Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
You must have an incredibly important need for that little bit of extra space if you are considering changing a setup that you like so well.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

IN GENERAL, and this is very generalized, a 10" woofer will give up some low-end extension and SPL capability to a similar 12" woofer.  But to know what the difference sounds like you really have to listen to them and compare.

By the way, the Boston "Pro" series is no longer manufactured (not since 2003.)

Support the12volt.com
swede 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I know the whole issue sounds absurd. The car is a wagon and to have items that used to have storage areas now rattling around and laying on the floor behind the seats is a tad annoying and "cluttered". I love a system that you can't even see - something that looks like the factory made it that way. I turned my spare over so the box sits inside its rim - and can easily be removed for tire access. Where I lost my space was having the box span beyond the tire area in order to pick up the extra volume needed for the 12's enclosure. The 10's enclosure will stay inside the wheel boundries so no original space is lost.
I know the Pro series isn't sold anymore.....but there's still NOS ones to be had CHEAP :)
Subtlety is EVERYTHING.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well I say go for it then... It sounds like that little space is pretty important. If you're not happy with the results and decide you liked the way it sounded before, you could always just make that 10's box bigger to give you more low end.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic