icon

Shopping List Advice for My 1st Box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mayoskillz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
I just came across this forum and I'm really impressed. That being said I'd appreciate some advice. I'm a real newbie, so I need some helping in picking the exact items that I need, and also how much I need. I am going to glass two symmetrical enclosures where the armrests typical are in my 93 Civic. They will site infront of the spare tire well and the back of the box will pretty much be flush to the quarter panel. Here's a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Shopping List Advice for My 1st Box? -- posted image.
Ok, so now for the list, this is what I understand I will need:
Fiberglass (Mat or Cloth, and How Much?)
Resin/Hardener (What Type and How Much?)
Body Filler and Hardener (Again, Type and How Much?)
Some Type of Carpet or Fleece to Stretch Over The Box (Recommendations?)
Vinyl To Cover The Box With (Best place for vinyl that molds to contours easily and will blend with the factory interior?)
Stirrers, Dixie Cups, Gloves (Do I need a mask so I dont breath in the glass?)
Fiberglass Shears (Necessary?)
A Sheet of MDF (1/2"?)
Anything Else I Forgot?
Are those How To Fiberglass DVD's worth the $$?
I don't want to break the bank with this, but I'll also dont want to buy crap materials and make my life more difficult than necessary.
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my newb post and bestow your wisdom upon me! Shopping List Advice for My 1st Box? -- posted image.   I've always wanted to tackle a fiberglass project, but now I'm at a point in a life where I have the resources and time to do something like this.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
check http://www.selectproducts.com/ they have good products and they DVD's are awesome.
Shaking The Neighborhood
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  

Fiberglass (Mat or Cloth, and How Much?)- Mat is usually stronger but cloth gives a smoother finish.  I take it flat partsof the box will b MDF, most of the time matt is the best option.  Matt comes by the square meter in aus, in US its proberly suqare foot or yard (depending), for sumthing like that u wuld proberly need at least 3m2 depending on density of matt and the number of layers applied

Resin/Hardener (What Type and How Much?) most people use polyester resin and i wuld start with 4L (1 gallon) and appropriate MEKP (Methyl Ethal Keytone Peroxide) usually 150ml of catalyst will treat a gallon

Body Filler and Hardener (Again, Type and How Much?) Any car bodyfiller bondo is big brand over in the states, rage gold by evercoat is an excellent product.  I used 2.5Kg of filler on an amp rack and box

Some Type of Carpet or Fleece to Stretch Over The Box (Recommendations?) Speaker box carpet can be used, its very strong, i use old tea towels and sheets bcuz i cudnt be stuffed spednign $5 on a metre of cheap fleece from the local material place

Vinyl To Cover The Box With (Best place for vinyl that molds to contours easily and will blend with the factory interior?) I hate using vinyl but harware stores carry it, the stuff without backing tends to mould better

Stirrers, Dixie Cups, Gloves (Do I need a mask so I dont breath in the glass?)  YES its very damaging vapour, use it when dry sanding aswell

Fiberglass Shears (Necessary?)  not really
A Sheet of MDF (1/2"?) or even thicker like 3/4"

Check out this sticky by velocity motors https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74519&PN=1

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
snowboarderandy 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

This is a big project for a beginner. You should try building a small enclosure before you start the honda civic project.  All of the building supplies can be bought online or at any big hardware store. Home Depot, lowes, etc...

I own the fiberglass DVDs they sell on ebay and the GCF dvds and I think they are great for beginners. If you have never worked with fiberglass before, buy the DVDs. They are worth the money.

www.glassmanscustomforum.com or search ebay for fiberglass dvds.

Thanks,
Andy
mayoskillz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone know where I can them used perhaps? They do seem a bit pricey. I figure after I watch the DVDs I'll have a really good idea of what I am getting into.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic