icon

System OK? Opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dan.murray 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 of the Pioneer TS-W306C ( http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entertainment/subwoofers/tsw306c/index.html)  and a Sony amp ( http://strathfield.com.au/ViewProduct.asp?ProdID=940) what do u think of this setup and do u think it will be powerful? i have not set it up yet...i like bass and a lot of it... but i am new to all this and dont know what is best....these were given as gifts..so that is why i have them without knowing what they are like System OK? Opinions? -- posted image.

Constructive criticism very welcome, and any opinions or recommendations you have with be very valuable.

prophesybh 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
That amp isn't gonna be any good for those subs.  It's not going to be able to power them very well.
Don't Ask Questions When You Already Know The Answer!!!
blks10tt2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
hey i dont suggest either one of those brands
dfizzle 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, those subs aren't too bad but that amp doesn't even come close to being able to power them.  You have to keep in mind that the "500 Watts" that amp claims to push is a max rating for all the channels combined and means almost nothing it's just the power it can supply for a short period in quick bursts.  You need to look at RMS numbers (or Nominal rating) and in the case of that amp, they don't come close to matching the RMS of the subs (which is 400 Watts).  You want to try and match the RMS wattage on the sub with the RMS output on the amp.  The other issue is that the amp is a 4 channel and it looks like the max RMS you're going to get is 120W to each sub.  Underpowering subs can be just as dangerous as overpowering them.  My reccomendation would be to head to any audio shop in your area and tell them the subs you have and that they are 400W RMS and see what they reccomend for an amp.  You don't have to buy if from them, it'll just give you a better idea what to look for.  Those subs would probably pound pretty well with the right amp, but it'll need to be a heck of a lot more powerfull and if you can help it, stay away from Sony products all together for car audio.
dan.murray 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
thankx for all your help System OK? Opinions? -- posted image. i think the general consensus is to get rid of the amp but keep the subs..thanks for ur help ..i'll go have a look for a suitable amp
It's all about bass
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
Look for a good quality class d mono amp that will produce between 600 - 800 watts RMS @ 2 ohms.
Then you're going to want to wire your subs like so:
System OK? Opinions? -- posted image.
Also, your box(es) are going to be a very important factor. The box can make or break the system, so make sure you read the manual on those subs for the recommended box.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well listen to the subs before you buy them, that is a matter of opinion but that amp simply does not produce enough power to run those subs.
dan.murray 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

I think the class D is a good option, what brands are good? budget around AUD $500

It's all about bass
dan.murray 
Member spacespace
dan.murray 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  

i also have two 4" kickers in the front (thats all that would fit in the stock holes) and a set of cadence 5" plits in the rear doors (again that is all that could fit) would the sony amp be better applied to these? and then a D class mono block to the subs?

It's all about bass
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic