icon

Multi coil tach signal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rolla99 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing an alarm/remote starter combo on a manual transmission Toyota Corolla. (1999). The starter I am installing has an automatic door locking feature which locks the doors once the car reaches 2200 rpm.  This car has 2 coil packs instead of a distributor, and I can only get half of the tach signal by tapping into one of them. So when the car is actually doing 4400 rpm, the meter will only show 2200 which is what I need to lock the doors. Is there a way that I can get a full tach signal from this car. (This car did not come with a tachometer). I know there is a unit I can buy that will provide this for me, but is not available where I live and not easy for me to get. Can I use a combination of diodes to combine the voltage from the two coil packs?

joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

it should give you full tach signal, have you tried taking a signal from one of the fuel injectors?  what is the engine size so i can look up the diagram for the ignition system.

i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
Going to a single coil should be fine most alarm learn teh tach..
i have my starter on the coil and i have 4 individual coul packs and it works perfect.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
rolla99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, No I havent tried taking the source from the injector, will that provide an accurate tach signal? The engine is a 1.8L SOHC.
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm should be able to learn the tach from the coil or the injector. look in your programming options
Darren Power
rolla99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
No, the starter I have can learn the tach signal from the fuel injector for crank time, but it needs an accurate tach signal for door locking. I cannot program the module manually to tell it I am only on one coil pack instead of the two. There should be a wire that I can tap into to give me an accurate signal. Some of these cars do come with a factory tachometer so there must be a way to do it.
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
it must be self learning. what the alarm is looking for is a pulsed signal. if it can learn tach for the remote start. then it has learned the pulse rate of the idle. an alarm will normally close the doors when the pulse rate is 2 - 2.5 times the pulse rate of the idle..
whats the make and model of the alarm.
Darren Power
rolla99 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I completely understand what you mean. It should autolearn the signal. But the installation manual says it will lock the doors at 2200 RPM, and its locking them at approx. 4400. It really starting to bug me actually. I appreciate your help, I just want to figure this out. The model of my alarm is SCYTEK's GALAXY 5000 RS 2w for manual transmissions. Unfortunately the installation manual for the standard transmission is not available from their website. ( www.scytek.net)
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2006 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
i can't upload the manual trans suppliment because its 513kb i'll mail it to you if you want to pm me your address.
option 21 in programming is for programming the tach to idle have you done this
i haven't had this problem with the galaxy try an injector if its still the same
Darren Power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic