icon

Customers watching?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
autofan01 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
There's few things I hate more than doing an installation with the customer watching. Let alone having them ask silly questions or even worse, giving you advice! Especially when it comes to custom installs or situations where you have to "make a plan". I know in most shops it doesn't work that way, but in some it does.
I would just really like to know your thoughts on this so that I can show it to my boss and try to convince him to do something about the matter. I can think of tons of reasons, but would like to hear yours instead. Thanks!
Nicolas
All your BASS are belong to us!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Other than the huge annoyance factor, customers in the bay is a huge liability.  If an accident were to occur, and the customer were to get injured while watching you do something- your shop can be held liable.  At least, that's how it is in the states.  This is a liability few shops are willing to accept, thus, no customers in the bay.  Without them nagging you, you're able to concentrate on your work, doing a much better job, and finishing in less time.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
a sign something like this and clearly visible would speak volumes
labor rate $50 per hour
if you want to watch $60 per hour
if you ask questions $70 per hour
if you help $80 per hour
Customers watching? -- posted image.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
autofan01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
That sums it up great! My thoughts exactly. You see, it's a little difficult in our shop, since the layout is "open plan". There's realy no seperation between the showroom and the work bay. Only one entrance, through the work bay. My boss propably reckons that it sets us apart from the rest, and that the customers can see how professional we work. Or something in that line.
autofan01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
I know a couple of shops with similar signs to that one, Electro, but when I suggested it to my boss, he just laughed, considering it a joke.
xinstallerx 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
It works both ways. Not anyone can do this with no one watching so it takes a confident installer to do it with the customer watching. On the other hand you cant fix some of the minor mishaps without the customer ever knowing.
Installers will put it anywhere!
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Heres what i do when i have the customer staring from a distance. Bring a piece of plastic in there and when your taking panes off just snap it out of view so it makes a loud noise. Then just look up at the cusomer with a confused look. I love doing that.
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
I've done some jobs with the customers watching.  They just cringe when the dash panels start flex before the clips finally pop.  I think it is funny. But it is a huge liability to have them in the bay. You could always pull the car in the bay so that it hides you while you do most of your work.
Good Luck!
-Thad
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

Watched from a distance never bothered me. But walking around and touching my tools bugged the hell out of me.

We had a window between the showroom and intsall bay. It was shoulder level so people would just rest thier heads on the sill and watch. One of the guys hung some large drawings of head less monkeys just below the sill on the shop side. They had no idea what we were laughing at.

autofan01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everybody for your comments! Hopefully my boss will now see that it's not only me who's complaining, but people on the other side of the world are too.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic