icon

03 Tahoe replace Bose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
five0_4tluv 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
i am getting some quotes to replace my Tahoe speakers. i'm going to use my NAV head unit and factory sub (for now). i noticed this weekend that i have some 3.5 coax in the rear pillars which have not been mentioned to be replaced.
Boston Acoustics S60, front's
Boston Acoustics S65, rear doors
above to be powered by Boston Acoustics 4ch amp along with the factory sub "bridged-mode" - $1309 installed
but if i want to replace the 3.5" rears, what should i do? i could go with a 5 channel amp so i could have options to add more subs later.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

To use a 4 channel amp to power 4 speakers and a factory sub, they probably plan on using the 2 front channels of the amp to run the interior speakers (fronts and rears- 2 speakers per channel), and bridge the rear channels for the sub.  I wouldn't recommend doing this.  However, I can't suggest sticking with the factory sub either.  I'd either use a 5 channel amp with one channel dedicated to run an aftermarket sub/box (you can use a JL stealthbox if you like), or stick with the 4 channel and do away with the sub (at least until you can afford one).  If you want to retain use of the factory sub, I'd only use the factory amp to power it (this may actually be what they're planning to do).

I'd recommend doing away with the 3.5's altogether.  They don't serve much a purpose, and detract from your sound up front (which is where you should want most of it anyway). 

I know this is probably not what you want to be reading right now, but that's my honest opinion.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

You can use the factory deck (I'm guessing the Nav is factory) to power the factory sub, it will work fine.  One problem you will run into is retaining the OnStar.  If you aren't replacing the deck, and you try to use a seperate speaker for the OnStar, you will also get music through it. 

If I read this wrong and your Nav is an aftermarket, then just wire up the speaker leads to the OnStar/Bose adaptor, and this will power your factory sub with the Bose Amp.  Although you may still run into the problem with the Onstar, and music coming through the seperate speker.

I wouldn't recommend using the factory sub, and an aftermarket amp.  The factory "sub" is only a 6" speaker.

five0_4tluv 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
just got back to this thread. thanks for the honest info. i was told that they would bridge the factory sub into the amp. the NAV is factory and i don't really think that running the factory sub from the existing system is an option since the rest of the Bose speakers will be disconnected. i'm sure the Bose amp is not a 5 channel amp and would not like most of it's load to be gone. i think i'm moving more towards a 5 channel setup with a box that i can put in the rear "fake" subwoofer location. any opinions on 5 channel amps on a budget? i'd like to stay under $1500 for the whole install.. thanks
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well actually that BOSE amp is more like a 7 channel amp and the factory sub is fed off a dedicated channel. I would just keep the factory sub ran off of the BOSE amp and use your Boston amp for your Boston speakers only. Simple and effective.
Jazzy
five0_4tluv 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
so i need some help. i am on a budget. i need to maximize my $. again this is a '03 Tahoe currently with Bose and will use my factory NAV head unit. i'd like 6.5 component in the front and 6.5 coax in the rear, and add a sub later.
do you guys prefer a 4 channel AMP + 2ch (bridgeable) or should i do a 5ch.
option #1: shop brands (Kenwood Excelon, Sony, JVC Arsenal, Diamond, Kicker,Memphis, Pioneer, Autotek, Boston Acoustics)
option #2: roll my own and have them install it.
thanks for your input
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
If you plan installing a sub later I would lean towards a 5 channel. I prefer either the memphis 5 channel or a Concept 5 channel. The memphis is a bit pricey, I have done 4 systems using the Concept cca-664 sound really good powered 2 entry level 12" dvc's off sub channel. I am retailing them for 399.99. I don't know the price for the memphis 5 channels sold/installed with previous but from what I remember they also sounded great. Out of th list you posted from that shop the only one that I have had unfortunate luck with for amps is kenwood. Just my opinion.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic