icon

Shift Indicator Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timkins 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have a street rod that I just removed a 8 wire shift indicator module and installed a 6 wire  Shift Indicator Switch Kit  so that when I shift into any gear a light shows on the dash and indicates which gear I am in. The old unit has 8 wires and was powered through the unit and this is where I picked up the power for the lights to illuminate for the proper gear.  The new unit only has  6 wires from the unit for the appropriate gear with now power for the lights when in the proper gear. I used a continuity tester to show which wire was for which light (P,R,N,D,L2,L1) but I cannot figure out how to power the respective lights for the appropriate gear. Any Ideas or suggestion????
whitenoiz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
The indicator lights might work on a Resistor base! Check to see if the resistance varies in each gear!
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

My street rod has a six wire shift light, but is powered thru the shift unit like your old 8 wire indicator.

If you only have six shift indicator wires, what are you checking continuity from if there's no power input line? Maybe this new unit works opposite of the old unit.  Instead of sending power to each light, maybe the unit regulates the ground for each light instead? That would explain no power source to the shift indicator on the trans. If you supply ignition source power to each shift indicator light(actually hook all of the lights to one ignition source power feed), then hook the ground wires from each light to its corresponding wire on the shift indicator on the trans, the indicator would ground the appropriate light as the shift indicator is moved thru the gear ranges? Is that possible?

Don

timkins 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended that I combine all of the positive leads for the lights and run 1 wire for power to the fuse box.  They then said to use the ground wire from the lights to the appropriate wire coming from the indicator box mounted on the transmission. The unit has a plunger that is hooked to the shift arm on the transmission and as the arm is pulled out of the control box it make contact inside to ground and the lights comes on.  It is really a simple idea when you stop and think about it , WHICH I DID NOT DO!  Thanks to all for their responses and suggestions.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic